Like Tree4Likes

Audio stores in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Audio stores in Hong Kong

Hi,

I hope this is the right forum to post this

I am planning a trip in the near future to Hong Kong. One of my itinerary is to visit used audio stores with purchasing some items in mind.
    I would highly appreciate any feedback from the community regarding the best place to shop. My main focus will be on vintage amplifiers, integrated amplifier and turntables.

use carousel, it's aclassified for purchased used items via an app and website, assuming you know what to look for and know your stuff, you find decent stuff, it's noted that items that been there for over 6 months or a year, best to leave it, probably overpriced or not desireable,

I also beware of imported japanese equipment which uses 120v, need a big step down transformer and good one for clean power, best to go for official hong kong goods which are 240v, less hassle

the problem with used audio shops is that they are generally not great for value, private sales is better, but the disadvantage is that you may not be able to arrange a demostration listen with a private sales, but if they won't allow you, don't bother, find another seller that will

jgl likes this.

There is one place in Sham Shui Po that does vintage stuff on Ap Lui Street between Pei Ho St and Nam Cheong Streets, north side. Old amps, transports, DACs. Lots of speakers.

You would really have to know your stuff inside out to buy vintage stuff here though. Depending on where you are coming from, I would not expect to be finding amazing deals. Why do you want to buy in HK- is it pricing or availability?

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    I also beware of imported japanese equipment which uses 120v, need a big step down transformer and good one for clean power, best to go for official hong kong goods which are 240v, less hassle
    I thought Japan is 100V, and the US is 110-120? Never even looked into whether it makes a difference with power supplies though.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I thought Japan is 100V, and the US is 110-120? Never even looked into whether it makes a difference with power supplies though.
    i believe voltage in US and Japan as well as Taiwan fluculates a bit from average 110v to 100v or to 120v, i also believe UK/HK/Euro does the same, average 230v sometimes 220v sometimes 240v

https://www.schneider-electric.co.uk/en/faqs/FA144717/

apparently, it's more common than you think

do you buy and use 110/120v equipment in HK, i do, but not audio equipment, mostly imported video games consoles

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    do you buy and use 110/120v equipment in HK, i do, but not audio equipment, mostly imported video games consoles
    Yeah, my air purifiers is from the US because they are crazy expensive here. Also have an amp that runs on US voltage.
    imparanoic likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast