Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shri

Apple Arcade - Game Subscriptions

Closed Thread

Apple Arcade - Game Subscriptions

Not streaming and no quantum leaps. More of a evolutionary and traditional subscription service for games from Apple.

Includes some familiar (to me) names like Lego and SimCity.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/25/1...icing-features

No controller as compulsory, touch screen gaming lacks the tactile feedback and precision controls, I presume they are after the casual gamers market, but do they have any killer app to entice a paying audience, will they have the constant games additional to their initial line up to ensure longevity esp for paying customers? Nintendo with their online function and classic 8 bit games with less then regular additions to their catalog has been criticised for limited appeal, even more with their drm where they have to log on every week to activate these games and they are charging USD 30per year, Google stadia could charge more, but that's a question mark, sony PlayStation plus and Microsoft gold for game has been acclaimed for value for money and has tens of millions of subscriber at USD 60 per year (in HK it's hkd 279) but with 2 - 3 new PlayStation 4/Xbox one games every month.

killer app to entice a paying audience
    I am not too sure about this - since it would require paying a hefty premium to get an Apple device!

Might look at the Apple TV at some stage if and when the reviews for Lego / SimCity type games come out and they're positive.
    imparanoic likes this.

I can imagine, apple trying to charge up to GBP200/HK$2000/US$250 per year for combined package of apple music, apple tv plus and apple arcade per year subscription, for the complete entertainment package, but will they have unique and exciting content to entice their audience, i doubt it, esp in the long term, maybe some people will try for a odd month or two, but it hard to see that people will commit more than a few months for their expected content for these services.