Like Tree13Likes

Nintendo Switch: any console guru here ?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Nintendo Switch: any console guru here ?

My daughter came to me yesterday saying she would like a Nintendo Switch.
    Her interest is:
    - portability when we travel, but when at home she can connect it to the TV to play with her friends, and
    - her almost exclusive interest is in Mario games. I don't know why. I have the Sonic's Genesis Ultimate Collection for my PS3, I tried telling her that Sonic is just like a blue Mario... but no, this won't do. It's not Mario.
    Given that she very, very rarely asks for anything, I am tempted to agree to this.

Before I head to my favorite game store in WCC though, is there any alternative that we may be overlooking ? It has to be portable, otherwise she already has the Wii which we bought her when she was...5 I believe. Still works great. Although she ran out of Mario games.

She says the WiiU sucks.

Thank you.

(for the old farts who like vintage games, this Sonic's Genesis Ultimate Collection for the PS3 is great, it has all the cool games we used to play in the bars, like Golden Axe, Shinobi, Robocop etc. A great investment).

MandM! and imparanoic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    My daughter came to me yesterday saying she would like a Nintendo Switch.
    Her interest is:
    - portability when we travel, but when at home she can connect it to the TV to play with her friends, and
    - her almost exclusive interest is in Mario games. I don't know why. I have the Sonic's Genesis Ultimate Collection for my PS3, I tried telling her that Sonic is just like a blue Mario... but no, this won't do. It's not Mario.
    Given that she very, very rarely asks for anything, I am tempted to agree to this.

Before I head to my favorite game store in WCC though, is there any alternative that we may be overlooking ? It has to be portable, otherwise she already has the Wii which we bought her when she was...5 I believe. Still works great. Although she ran out of Mario games.

She says the WiiU sucks.

Thank you.

(for the old farts who like vintage games, this Sonic's Genesis Ultimate Collection for the PS3 is great, it has all the cool games we used to play in the bars, like Golden Axe, Shinobi, Robocop etc. A great investment).
    Switch is currently hot cake of month, games and controller pro are quite expensive, no subscription for free games Apart nes games 2 every 2 months at around hkd 150 per year , seems she likes Mario and she won't be pleased unless you get a switch, it's rumored that Nintendo will update with 2 new versions (every portable console from Nintendo around 3 iterations every 2 years) a cheaper and smaller version and pro version to be released soon, there are a few retro games on switch but not many, castlevania collection, CAPCOM beat me up collection, street fighter collection, etc

On the other ps4 also has retro games, there also a PlayStation plus subscription, hkd 270 per year ,2 or 3 new ps 4 games download per month.

I have a modified ps Vita TV and ps Vita 2000 , native support for psp, Ps 1, ps Vita, but it's modified for mame emulation for arcade games around 180 downloaded, but also SNES , megadrive, pc engine, gameboy advance. Etc

If you modify your wii, you can download pirated virtual console games with nes , SNES pc engine, megadrive and n64, official Nintendo Wii virtual console games, But you need a wii controller pro to play them

@imparanoic thanks for the detailed feedback, seems quite advanced . The PS Vita, being Sony - I think - may not let her play Nintendo games is this correct ? She also mentioned Zelda. Basically it seems her needs are very specific.
    Also I think I may need a simple solution, I don't know if I can crack a console. This isn't an area where I can confidently step into.
    And there is also the portability element, I think cracking our Wii may not check this box.

* edit: I had a look at the Nintendo DS but man this thing looks ugly, reminds me of the Nintendo things I had when I was in primary !

Name:  gamewatch_2414464k.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  102.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    Switch is currently hot cake of month, games and controller pro are quite expensive, no subscription for free games Apart nes games 2 every 2 months at around hkd 150 per year , seems she likes Mario and she won't be pleased unless you get a switch, it's rumored that Nintendo will update with 2 new versions (every portable console from Nintendo around 3 iterations every 2 years) a cheaper and smaller version and pro version to be released soon, there are a few retro games on switch but not many, castlevania collection, CAPCOM beat me up collection, street fighter collection, etc

On the other ps4 also has retro games, there also a PlayStation plus subscription, hkd 270 per year ,2 or 3 new ps 4 games download per month.

I have a modified ps Vita TV and ps Vita 2000 , native support for psp, Ps 1, ps Vita, but it's modified for mame emulation for arcade games around 180 downloaded, but also SNES , megadrive, pc engine, gameboy advance. Etc

If you modify your wii, you can download pirated virtual console games with nes , SNES pc engine, megadrive and n64, official Nintendo Wii virtual console games, But you need a wii controller pro to play them
    I don't think his daughter is going to care about 90's crappy games remake for nostalgic oldies

The switch is great easy to play by yourself but also have a lot of party games you can play with friend. It's portable and still easy to play on tv.
    TheBrit and kimwy66 like this.

jgl

deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Beuze
    I don't think his daughter is going to care about 90's crappy games remake for nostalgic oldies
    Actually remake of the 90s would be okay I think, she's not after great graphics, online capability etc.
    But has to be Mario. Or Zelda. As I said I tried to trick her into Sonic but failed.
    And portable. And play on TV capability as you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Beuze

The switch is great easy to play by yourself but also have a lot of party games you can play with friend. It's portable and still easy to play on tv.
    His daughter wants a switch, pointless debating alternatives, but the op likes retro gaming, switch has its advantages, but there is no subscription based gaming where you get subsidised cheap games like what you get on Xbox games with gold or PlayStation plus, unless you like the 16 nes games on Nintendo online.

The op has a wii, he can use that to play retro games if modified with either emulation or official Nintendo Wii virtual console games that will solve his preference
    it_guy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    @imparanoic thanks for the detailed feedback, seems quite advanced . The PS Vita, being Sony - I think - may not let her play Nintendo games is this correct ? She also mentioned Zelda. Basically it seems her needs are very specific.
    Also I think I may need a simple solution, I don't know if I can crack a console. This isn't an area where I can confidently step into.
    And there is also the portability element, I think cracking our Wii may not check this box.

* edit: I had a look at the Nintendo DS but man this thing looks ugly, reminds me of the Nintendo things I had when I was in primary !

Name:  gamewatch_2414464k.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  102.1 KB
    Just buy current switch or wait 6 months for the rumoured switch lite or switch pro for your daughter

For yourself, use the wii, modified it and you can play majority of your retro games from the 90s, pm if you want more information how to

There aren't really any alternatives to the Nintendo Switch at the moment since no one else has a portable home console out right now. The lite version will most likely not improve the internals at all, so you'd be fine buying the original edition today if you wanted to. Also, support has been discontinued for the Wii U and PS Vita so I'd say don't consider them at all.

If your daughter is looking for Mario and Zelda games I'd say definitely grab Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Zelda Breath of the Wild with the console. I'd also recommend buying Mario Odyssey, Super Smash Bros, and New Super Mario Bros U, but Zelda alone should keep her occupied for 60+ hours so don't worry about buying them for now. In terms of future Mario and Zelda releases, they both have installments coming out this year so options will increase over time.

Nintendo Switch Online isn't worth it at the moment, and considering your daughter is only interested in playing it on the go and with her friends I wouldn't buy it.

In terms of accessories, maybe grab an extra pair of Joycons with the console so she can play 4 player Mario Kart with her friends when they come over.

If you buy the console in the end, make sure to use the US region for her account and console region since the HK shop doesn't sell digital games and is only in Cantonese.

I've had the console for nearly a year now and I can definitely recommend it since the Mario and Zelda games that have been released for it are some of their best installments.

shri and imparanoic like this.

If your daughter loves Mario, I'd go for Odyssey over Mario Kart or Zelda for a first purchase.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast