Like Tree5Likes

Labkable cables - any acoustic guru here ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Original Post Deleted

From terrible to OK may be worth it. After that you probably need an special room

Biggest benefit of more expensive cables - they don't tangle as much?

Original Post Deleted
    Don't waste time in anything wanchai cc. It's all mob run..

There is a good shop in wanchai actually.. Richcoln, fancy stuff...

I bought my massive subwoofer from them thanks to someone on these forums!

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:

188 Lockhart Road probably 5th floor from memory
    Rob2020 likes this.

Cables made of pure silver - HKD 15k will buy you about 3.6kg of silver bullion...

And while we're talking about cables, always worth reviewing and appreciating the fun that people have had over the years with Monster cables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOxZGJuVdz8

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:

Thats the shop I was thinking of. Have some really really good stuff in there... now if they could only fix my hearing issues.

Overly enthusiastic rave reviews are usually from people who are spending large amounts of money on placebo. The explanation for how these cables work usually involve a random mix of pseudo-scientific gibberish that resembles the the promo material for homeopathic medicine. Sellers will talk about burning in cables, cryogenic treatments, directional cables because electricity flows better one way.

I've only tried testing cable differences once with a friend, a long time ago. With a blind test of some bulky and expensive Linn cable against lamp cord. We couldn't tell a difference.

Even if expensive cables could make a difference, it would be so minor that you'd probably be better served spending that money on better speakers, amplification, a new sofa, or some nice wine. The wine would probably improve the listening experience more noticeably.

I don't think silver cables makes sense - silver is a slightly better conductor than copper - but not by much.

And silver is almost 100x more expensive - but if you use a thicker copper cable you would have higher conductivity.

Then there is the price - it's not hard to make a cable - they should not be priced significantly above the spot price for silver - IMO.

On their website it says

shop located in the prosperous centre of Hong Kong.
    almost too honest

https://www.thoughtco.com/table-of-e...ctivity-608499
    shri likes this.

Why would you spend all that money on cables rather than getting new IEMs or headphones? Why people think that cables that interconnect the earpiece to the amplifier portion of your dac (or if you're really into carrying around a large stack just the amplifier which is connected to your dac via a no doubt very pricy cable) will make a huge difference in sound? It's like this play decodes my song differently than this other player because it costs more. Uh no. audio codes are decoded a certain way because that's how they were designed.

Cables do look cooler. But that's it. IEMs themselves will sound different because the balanced armature or dynamic or hybrid (both) are of different quality and design. Even the crossover would make a difference. But people like to chase these things in their imagination, which you know, all the more power to them but it's no doubt cable manufacturers are taking advantage of this market. There are so many conductors that go between your ears and the source. Good luck replacing them all and actually proving a difference. In fact, after buying so many IEMs I got tired because they were no longer better, just different. There was a rapid growth phase, but it just hasn't become as night and day as before.

At least in cars you can buy more horsepower that you don't need, or spend a ton of money on a new car to save money on gas. But cars actually are super hard to make and cost a lot to make. Many IEMs sell for more than decent speakers. Seriously. At least for iPads they have complicated internals and electronics. Vs TVs they really do offer more. Smart TVs now are pretty cool. These things IMO are worth the money due to the tech they offer (lots of serious engineers etc to make things happen). Cables, not so much. Throw some silver in there, braid it together, cool sheathing, fancy looking connection, sell for 10k. It's more craftsmanship than actual performance.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast