• 1 Post By bdw
  • 1 Post By Rob2020
  • 2 Post By Walter White
  • 1 Post By si0001
  • 3 Post By Stu79
  • 1 Post By homme

PS4 Newbie Questions

PS4 Newbie Questions

I'm in Toronto for the summer and I just thought about getting my first real game console unless the Wii counts.

I am thinking of picking up a used PS4 or XBox One. Mainly to play sports games like NHL Hockey and maybe other sports too and eventually maybe some games for my teenaged daughter too.

Question 1:
    I am leaning towards the PS4 and of the different models, the PS4 Slim (perhaps 1TB version). Seems like PS4 is more popular than XBox One whenever I ask people. Any thoughts on this?

Question 2:
    I can either pick up a used one here in Toronto and bring it back or I can wait until I get back and pick one up then. I think it is a little cheaper in HK but one thing I am not certain of is whether I will have an issue with the language versions in HK. I don't know if they can change between the main languages or not. I had a bad experience with the Japanese version Wii and I don't want to go through that again. Will I have this language version issue with the used PS4 or XBox One game consoles sold in HK?

Thanks.

I obtained my PS4 in HK and have no language issues.

Rayzilla likes this.

bdw

Australian teenagers going to Australian school in HK appear to prefer Xbox. At least that's what my son and his mates are on all the time. But more broadly, you are correct that PS4 is more popular in HK overall.

Languages and region locking should not be an issue anymore. Definitely not with xbox (you can change language and which country store you connect to quite easily, change payment options between HKD, AUD, etc). For PS4 I believe no issue too

Rayzilla likes this.

PS4 games are not region locked. I've bought games from Australia and played them on my "HK" PS4 no problems at all.

Rayzilla likes this.

PS4, and pick it up here. No issues at all. Probably cheaper, wont have any issue with plugs etc.

Rayzilla and shri like this.

There is no region locking for games, only for DVD/Blu-Ray which no one buys anymore

Rayzilla likes this.

Yeah, play my Hong Kong bought PS4 in English no problem.

One tip is to buy physical copies of the games here from one of the various games markets here. The prices on the HK Playstation store are usually way higher than you can get them brand new in the markets. Just picked up a copy of Spiderman for HK$225 at Oriental 188 market in Wan Chai, price via the online store was HK$308.

The HK PSN prices are actually quite reasonable while they are on discount. I got my Spiderman from PSN for $2xx.

imparanoic likes this.

the problem with xbox one is that microsoft released the xbox one in HK a year later than anywhere in the world during late 2014, same with Japan, they only sell around 25-100 xbox one per week for the last 5 years, compare to late 2013 for ps4, ps4 was released in Asia just before end of 2013 in HK, but overall, apart from USA, Xbox one is being outsold by PS4 significantly, even the switch released in 2017 (strictly not a direct competitor to ps4 or xb1) has outsold xbox one at 43 mil compare to xbox one 41 mil, but ps4 is now the 2nd best selling home console at 108 mil and it may not reach the best selling console ever, ps2 at 160 mil, the main reason why ps4 sells, exclusive killer app (console ) games, such as horizon dawn zero, spiderman, god of war, street fighter 5, last of us 2, ghost of tsushima, final fanasty 7 remake, gran turismo sport, the list goes one, also really good value subscription package, HK$279 12 months, 2 games free every month (xbox gold is similar and also great value), also brand new games and controller ain't expensive, special offer dual shock 4 controller at HK$300, brand new games such as resident evil 2 remake only HK$150 even only released last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq7ZT_M6yyc

MS also seems to be concertrating releasing accessories and different version of xbox one which is bizarre, instead of making games, they released so many different colours of controllers, pro elite controller, phyisically challenged controller and models such as Xbox one SAD edition (S all digital)