Like Tree2Likes

Looking for a vintage Nintendo Game Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for a vintage Nintendo Game Watch

I'm looking for one of those as a gift to someone.
    Because they are old and I will want to check the condition, especially the buttons, I would prefer buying it here in HK and then ship it back home as opposed to buying something off eBay.

Does anybody know of a shop where I might be able to find this ?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...watch&_sacat=0

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    I'm looking for one of those as a gift to someone.
    Because they are old and I will want to check the condition, especially the buttons, I would prefer buying it here in HK and then ship it back home as opposed to buying something off eBay.

Does anybody know of a shop where I might be able to find this ?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...watch&_sacat=0
    shops in hk will be very expensive for this rare type of nintendo portable game, there are really extortionate prices more expensive than ebay, however, some really good condition ones.

better place, carosell HK or various facebook retro gaming , message the seller, meet at mutually convenient by leaving a number via whatsapp, significant better prices and you get to check the goods then pay

also note nintendo actually re released 'ball' game and watch (only this version though) and you can buy it brand new and unopened box for inexpensive price at HK$300,

I have sold immaculate game and watch ( as agent, GBP1 start) really rare ones sold as much as 750 quid during christmas 2009 once, i actually that month turnover around GBP15k during that month, but i was only an agent, the supplier was a HK importer which contacts from japanese chain mandrake, we sold worldwide.
    jgl and jrkob like this.

@imparanoic yes I am expecting that shops in HK will be extremely expensive. Although I am obviously not looking for gaming value for money, I would not be prepared to buy at extortionate prices. I had a look at the re-release of Ball but from what I understand the screen is smaller than the original Nitendo Game Watch.

Ok let me check carossell, very good idea ! I think my wife has an account with them and I see that some sellers offer them for HKD400-600, which would work for me. I think this is exactly what I need. Thanks !

@imparanoic yes I am expecting that shops in HK will be extremely expensive. Although I am obviously not looking for gaming value for money, I would not be prepared to buy at extortionate prices. I had a look at the re-release of Ball but from what I understand the screen is smaller than the original Nitendo Game Watch.

Ok let me check carossell, very good idea ! I think my wife has an account with them and I see that some sellers offer them for HKD400-600, which would work for me. I think this is exactly what I need. Thanks !
    while i am not an expert on nintendo game and watch ( i do recall them in birmingham, mid 80s but i wasn't fan, I was more a fan of 16 bit era), please note cheaper ones can be a bit of minefield in terms of quality, get it tested in front of you before handing over money, if you pm, i can forward recent for sales on various fb gaming groups in HK and you can contact them directly

also note, there are 2 complilations of game and watch ( with many games) on nintendo DS which looks and feels very similar to double screen original, even possible to get this on the cheap via other methods, pm if you want more info

this ds complilation of game and watch, singificantly cheaper as well and you can own almost every game and watch without spending HK$10000s, pm if you want know to do it on a cheap, ie, less than HK$300

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYrOy9JabGE

@imparanoic, ok thanks for the suggestions. So your idea is that I buy a Nintendo DS (I see from Carousell should in the 100-300$) and then I buy separately the Game&Watch compile, so for example the below, is this correct ?

FYI the ones that I am interested in: Octopus, Popeye, Chef, Turtle Bridge, Snoopy Tennis (very hard !), Parachute, Life Boat, and Chef.

The slight concern I have with the originals is the condition not so much of the casing itself, but the buttons. As I recall after a few thousand of hours, they wear out and are hard to manipulate so cannot play anymore (even worse they can split). In fact I can tell from some of the pictures as the clearance of the button is very small meaning the game won't play well. That's my biggest concern. So perhaps your idea would work better even if it's not exactly what I wanted initially.

https://hk.carousell.com/p/nintendo-...ort_by=popular

https://hk.carousell.com/p/%E4%BA%8C...ort_by=popular

@imparanoic, ok thanks for the suggestions. So your idea is that I buy a Nintendo DS (I see from Carousell should in the 100-300$) and then I buy separately the Game&Watch compile, so for example the below, is this correct ?

FYI the ones that I am interested in: Octopus, Popeye, Chef, Turtle Bridge, Snoopy Tennis (very hard !), Parachute, Life Boat, and Chef.

The slight concern I have with the originals is the condition not so much of the casing itself, but the buttons. As I recall after a few thousand of hours, they wear out and are hard to manipulate so cannot play anymore (even worse they can split). In fact I can tell from some of the pictures as the clearance of the button is very small meaning the game won't play well. That's my biggest concern. So perhaps your idea would work better even if it's not exactly what I wanted initially.

https://hk.carousell.com/p/nintendo-...ort_by=popular

https://hk.carousell.com/p/%E4%BA%8C...ort_by=popular
    the nintendo DS series is the most popular portable consoles ever at 150 mil worldwide, 3 iterations of this console, it's so popular that you can get fairly immaculate and not worn out console easily, but you don't have to get the game and watch collection cartridge as there are not legit ways of playing it ( if you want to)

earliest ds was original DS, i would avoid like the plague, it's clunky and batteries are hard to get also more than likely to be worn out as it was released in 2004 (bonus also plays gameboy advance cartridges)

then you have the most common one and the cheapest, DS lite (released in 2006) smaller and more compact, yet same size screen at 4:3 3.5" as the original DS (in my opinion a bit too small in today's consoles, but it would be similar or slightly larger than original LCD game and watch), battery replacement ones are more common as well, (bonus also plays gameboy advance cartridges), beware of yellowing lcd screens on this ds lite and original ds

and finally, you have the best and most recent one , 2 models, no yellow, DSi and DSi XL/LL, which is most recent one released in 2008 and also best in terms of quality of screen, clarity and brightness, also more likely to be better condition, expect to pay around HK$300-350 for DSi and HK$400-450 for DSi XL/LL, also DSI XL has a really large screen at 4.2" @4:3 ratio, it's nice and best build quality, but also rarer than both DS and DS lite, but it don't play gameboy advance

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    but you don't have to get the game and watch collection cartridge as there are not legit ways of playing it ( if you want to)
    Ok, so DSi or DSi XL/LL.

Can you clarify the above statement ?
    * edit: ha I think you mean I can have it hacked
    Last edited by jrkob; 15-10-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Ok, so DSi or DSi XL/LL.

Can you clarify the above statement ?
    * edit: ha I think you mean I can have it hacked
    DSi 3.5"

DSi XL 4.2"

quite a big difference in size.

not hacked, even more simplier, use R4 cartridge ( remember get a later version as every r4 will be compatible with DS and DS lite, but less compatible with DSi XL/ DSi)

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    not hacked, even more simplier, use R4 cartridge
    Ok, so I can ask the seller of the DSi if he can also provide an R4 cartdrige with Nintendo Games&Watch on it ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast