Like Tree16Likes

Two channel system for music

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by aslan
    I haven’t compared the sound quality of the Sonos Amp to stereo receivers from the likes of Marantz and Yamaha so I can’t really say which is better. I do like Sonos products having owned the old Sonos Connect and they have a great reputation. I would guess the Sonos amp’s sound quality would be as good as any stereo receiver for a similar price.

I had such a bad experience with my old Marantz streamer that I would never buy anything from them again. The app was really bad and the streamer was terrible. It couldn’t do gapless playback and it drove me mad.

I believe that Google Chomecast can’t do gapless playback either.

I wouldn’t go near any streamer unless the app was good. Maybe things have improved now.

The OP already has a pair of KEF speakers so he should be able to get a Sonos Amp close to his budget or a little more.

Yes adding a tuner will be a pain. Sonos uses Tunein radio if I remember correctly. The OP can check if it has the stations he wants.

The thing I like about Sonos is that it just works and gets out the way so you can listen to your music without any faffing around.
    while sonos are decent for what they are, but at the price level, even comparable to home cinema amps, they cannot compare to sound quality to marantz dedicated amp, my boss has (which i purchased on his and his wife behalf after their bose hifi was broken) and KEFs speakers, she said that it was the best thing she ever listened to and it was like she was at a concert, surely, marantz home cinema amp with analog radio and streaming sounds another level to a sonos.

The point being the OP wants AM/FM and don't want to faff around with a 3.5mm input and odd looking full size tuner for analog radio, as sonos don't seem to have RCA input at the back either.

https://www.price.com.hk/product.php?p=419557

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    surely, marantz home cinema amp with analog radio and streaming sounds another level to a sonos.

https://www.price.com.hk/product.php?p=419557
    I would put my money on the Sonos Amp sounding better than a Marantz 7.2 receiver. It will be more user friendly too. But there is no way of knowing without auditioning them.

As I said, Sonos uses TuneIn radio and the OP can easily check if it has the stations he likes. The Sonos Amp does have RCA inputs at the back.

I have an old Sonos Connect which the OP can have for free if he wants it. I don’t use it anymore. Just buy a stereo amp and hook it up.

A stereo amp will sound better than a 7.2 AV receiver when listening to music in stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by aslan
    I would put my money on the Sonos Amp sounding better than a Marantz 7.2 receiver. It will be more user friendly too. But there is no way of knowing without auditioning them.

As I said, Sonos uses TuneIn radio and the OP can easily check if it has the stations he likes. The Sonos Amp does have RCA inputs at the back.

I have an old Sonos Connect which the OP can have for free if he wants it. I don’t use it anymore. Just buy a stereo amp and hook it up.

A stereo amp will sound better than a 7.2 AV receiver when listening to music in stereo.
    I don't think so, i have heard both, Marantz is awesome sounding for music.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    I don't think so, i have heard both, Marantz is awesome sounding for music.
    The OP should just try to audition and make his own mind up. His KEF speakers are widely available in Hk and should be easy to listen to with different amps.

I owned a Marantz stereo amp (around HK$5,000 ish) and streamer a few years ago and was not impressed. I tried to sell it on Geoexpat but had no takers.

Hi-Fi is a bit like crack cocaine and can be highly addictive. I’ve spent a small fortune buying amps and DACs over the last five years and still am not satisfied with what I have.

Wow, with those speakers and an AM or Bluetooth source, there's no point in spending much on an amp. Just get a cheap digital amp from AliExpress, I've been using one for years driving Rogers speakers from my TV.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_sfT0fp

huja likes this.

imparanoic likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3