Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mezza

UBOX running out of hard drive space?

UBOX running out of hard drive space?

Hi guys,
    I went to run the Google Play updates on my UBOX last night and it's telling me it's running out of space. I don't know why as I run it with very basic software (standard build plus ExpressVPN, Amazon Prime and Netflix), so I'm assuming there may be some logging or something turned on.

The File Manager programme doesn't appear to be very helpful in identifying what is taking up all the space. Anyone able to point me in the direction of how to identify what's taking up all the space?

Thanks,
    Simon

There is a function on the UBOX to clear some unnecessarily used storage such as caches and downloaded ipa files.

Thanks, I looked around and couldn't find anything that could help. What was interesting is Android kept saying the space was taken up by 'other' but couldn't show me what the 'other' was in order to delete it.

Also, the 'Speed Up' function on the UBOX software seems to only close open programs in the same way 'Device Maintenance' on an Android phone does.

In the end I just restored from factory settings and all the hard drive space came back, but seems like an extreme measure to me.

bdw

I use this "DiskUsage" app on my android phones as a great way of identifying what is taking up space. You should be able to install it on your ubox too, but as with any andriod app designed for a phone with touchscreen, I'm not sure what it looks like and if it is easy to use on a TV with remote control. You might need to plug a keyboard and mouse into your ubox to use it effectively.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.diskusage

When was the last time you turned your box off? I've noticed if you leave it constantly turned on the memory can fill up. Turn it off, unplug the power cord then turn it back on 15min later can suddenly recover a lot of space.

If that fails do a factory reset then just reinstall the programs you want again, it will be good as new.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezza
    When was the last time you turned your box off? I've noticed if you leave it constantly turned on the memory can fill up. Turn it off, unplug the power cord then turn it back on 15min later can suddenly recover a lot of space.

If that fails do a factory reset then just reinstall the programs you want again, it will be good as new.
    Actually I never turn it off to be honest, so next time it happens I'll definitely give that a go. Thanks for that.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the hard drive space, not RAM utilisation.

Quote Originally Posted by i-am-si
    Actually I never turn it off to be honest, so next time it happens I'll definitely give that a go. Thanks for that.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the hard drive space, not RAM utilisation.
    Yes I also mean hard drive space. No idea what causes it to fill up (not cache etc.) so must be things in the background. Turning it off regularly seems to help clear it for some reason.