Like Tree54Likes

Buying a new TV

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

If Australia, famous for high cost of living and generally jacked up prices on imported goods, is cheaper than HK, that's a bit of a shock. Maybe the retail landscape has changed there in the past handful of years. I know that places like Kogans have had a bit of an impact.

bdw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    If Australia, famous for high cost of living and generally jacked up prices on imported goods, is cheaper than HK, that's a bit of a shock. Maybe the retail landscape has changed there in the past handful of years. I know that places like Kogans have had a bit of an impact.
    I'm finding all sorts of things to be higher and lower in Aus compared to HK. But for TV's, Aus seems to be bigger and cheaper. eg Samsung 65 inch RU7100 is HK$5600 at JBhifi in Aus, compared to HK$8,800 cheapest price in HK now on price.com.hk (the green symbol with warranty).

Australia has a lot of much cheaper shit brands too,. TCL, Hisense and all that crap, as well as others I've never heard of before.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    HK is DTMB which is same system used in China, just need to wack a HK style power plug (same voltage) on the end of a Chinese model and then you've got a HK model. So I don't think thats an excuse for TV's to be so expensive in HK.
    It's not just TVs where you see a weird price jump in HK. Even when I go to the Wan Chai computer centre, the prices for common brands such as Logitech are anywhere from 10-50% higher than on Amazon. When I show the sales staff the price on Amazon and ask if they can match the price they just shrug.
    kpelszyn likes this.

Buy from a branded shop like Fortress, Broadway. And if the saleperson is proactive, you can bargain well, and get it cheaper than the price hk website.

It really depends on the sales person as these retail shops also want any business...

Quote Originally Posted by tf19:
    It's not just TVs where you see a weird price jump in HK. Even when I go to the Wan Chai computer centre, the prices for common brands such as Logitech are anywhere from 10-50% higher than on Amazon. When I show the sales staff the price on Amazon and ask if they can match the price they just shrug.
    Are you seriously expecting bricks and mortar stores in the most expensive rental market in the world to price match Amazon?

This is not what most people would call a 'weird' price jump, and you'd probably get that reaction the world over. Or tossed out of the store in some countries.
    james_hklocal likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5