Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By timonoj

120Hz over HDMI gaming TV

120Hz over HDMI gaming TV

so when the PS5 comes out - then my wallet comes out. and apparently I should be looking at 120Hz?

so does that mean I need to buy a TV now that support 120Hz over HDMI?

I think I read somewhere that you can play either at 4K 120Hz or 8K at 60Hz.

Another option would perhaps be a fairly large gaming monitor if you're happy with that. Although 27-32" gaming monitor at 120hz is going to be quite a different experience than a 65" TV in the lounge room.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter White:
    I think I read somewhere that you can play either at 4K 120Hz or 8K at 60Hz.
    Does anyone believe these numbers will be the new norm? I for one believe these are just a theoretical gimmick, achievable only on the most simple 3D or even just 2D games. I don't think the PS5 hardware will be able to pull complex 8K imagery. I'm not even sure this generation they'll finally achieve stable 4K either. The PS4 was already 4K capable, but only very few games to dare get close to it.

For example, Death Stranding renders natively at max 1440p, and that's upscaled to 4K. And that game is pushing the limits of the console. So for framerate/Hz, same problem applies...I wouldn't bother too much just yet. I don't think the first games or even FW revisions will be able to achieve anything close to those marketing points.
    shaunli likes this.