Like Tree9Likes

OLED vs LCD panels for TV

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCatalonia:
    Beware of "cheaply disposed of" TV's.

I recall, some time ago, that all Analog TV stations are still to be removed from service - and replaced with digital TV channels.

What this means: All old, analog TV's SOON won't be usable for local TV programs... UNLESS one has the "Magic" (made) Digital to analog converter. (Which we have had for years & distributed via the electronics harbor close to the waterfront near Chinese University.

Of course - at the moment my Chinese speaking SWMBO only uses it to watch some channels that ain't on analog T.V.)

But, I suppose, I will be forced to "learn" - like Mr Punch (of Punch & Judy) "that's the way to do it".....

Well, if you used TV it set your watch accurately, forget it - converting the original clock up to digital to go out of the TV channel and back down to your digital TV's screen takes several seconds.

How did I find this out? I saw this problem by watching an analog & a digital TV program in two neighbor's TV which were partially viewable in another building complex,

Analogue only TVs within Hong Kong are all rather old prior 2009, you can tell them from a mile away due to their extremely thick bezels and now obsolete s video and vga sockets

Quote Originally Posted by Busyguy:
    Thanks a lot. As I usually buy most electronics (other than my phone) from fortress, mainly due to convenience but also kind of give me comfort that in case of failure I will get good support.. I find the prices in market varying widely and get a feeling that it might be cheaper elsewhere or if its cheap feels quality is being compromised...
    My experience in buying a new TV: I went with one of the retailers listed on price.com.hk which turned out to be 20% cheaper than Fortress or Broadway. Ordered and paid for the TV more than a month before the date I needed it delivered and was assured then there was stock. But the day before delivery the shop said that the TV was not available and would have to be shipped from overseas and take almost 2-3 weeks for it to be delivered and installed.

So you get what you pay for. All the HK retailers large and small are middlemen getting the same product from the manufacturers like Sony and LG, and for large items like TVs they all use the same installation companies. But large shops like Fortress and Broadway will probably have larger warehouses (and better control of stock) and probably better followup.

So nearly three weeks later, the TV is here and installed, but it's been a headache dealing with the small retailer and also the installation company. As with all home deliveries and installations in Hong Kong, it will ALWAYS be at least an hour later than the time range they promise to show up at your flat.

Hopefully there's some small electronics retailer out there with great service but I would not expect it.
    imparanoic likes this.

This philips 58" tv with 4k HDR for HK$4500 seems to be a bargain

https://hongkong.pricerite.com.hk/%E...eid=4583e7ea7f

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3