Like Tree9Likes

OLED vs LCD panels for TV

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

OLED vs LCD panels for TV

So I am going to get a 4K TV and really won't be able to inspect and send back the TV.

I hear that OLEDs panels still have a lot of issues that require the TV being sent back.

are LCD panels pretty much rock solid now? I am willing to accept the lower quality of the LCD panel for better reliability. Plus I have some pretty strong day lighting from the side wall so I don't think the increased black contrast is going to make that much of a difference.

imparanoic likes this.

https://www.techradar.com/news/what-is-oled

I dont have an OLED TV but burn in is what I heard is the main problem.

Quote Originally Posted by chichow:
    So I am going to get a 4K TV and really won't be able to inspect and send back the TV.

I hear that OLEDs panels still have a lot of issues that require the TV being sent back.

are LCD panels pretty much rock solid now? I am willing to accept the lower quality of the LCD panel for better reliability. Plus I have some pretty strong day lighting from the side wall so I don't think the increased black contrast is going to make that much of a difference.
    best for you judge yourself what's best for you, i refer websites/youtube rtings for tv performance and specs, very indepth and techy.

I did look at r tings and as I stated earlier I not so worried about the difference in performance.

What I don't know as it has been years now is how reliable are current market LED / LCDs. Are we at a point where we pretty much don't worry about panel defects?

OLED all day long IMHO.

The reality is that unless you live in a glass box without curtains or a showroom lit by strip lighting you don't need the extreme brightness LED/LCD TVs can generate. But you can always see the difference between a true black from OLED and the mostly black dark grey of an LED. Mine is nothing special (LG B7) but it's still better than any non OLED I've ever seen.

Screen burn is mainly a myth unless you are a hardcore computer gamer with the same view on the screen all the time. Again mine is well used over the last 2.5 years and is still good as new.

I'm sorry I was not clear.

I am not considering an OLED TV given I don't have time to fuss with sending the TV back and forth for repair etc.

No OLED TV.

The question is whether the LCD LED panels are super reliable that I don't have to worry about getting defective panels.

You won't know until you take delivery.

Go for a good brand you can trust.

Don't buy from Fortress / Broadway.

Check out www.price.com.hk

https://www.consumerreports.org/lcd-...uy-a-cheap-tv/

Last edited by ArrynField; 26-05-2020 at 06:35 PM.

Just curious, any downside of buying from fortress / broadway ? as they keep good brands and prices seems Ok to me as well.

Pretty confusing thread. Margins are thin on consumer electronics... Any product with a susceptibility to going wrong in a warranty period will either be pulled from sale and farmed out to discounters/eBay, or will be priced accordingly (eg. folding phones).

Whatever the internet has told you about armies of people getting TVs that are defective out of the box or go wrong in a short space of time is wrong. But there's always a small chance that anything electronic you buy could be DOA... Not sure OLED bs LCD makes any difference there. In the last few years I've had two laptops that haven't been fully functional out of the box, but never an issue with a phone, TV, or anything simple.

TheBrit likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast