• 1 Post By Elegiaque
  • 1 Post By Mr Chips
  • 1 Post By gch555
  • 1 Post By Mr Chips

Epson projector - fixing temperature sensor

Closed Thread

Epson projector - fixing temperature sensor

Hoping you techies might have some suggestions for this:

We have an Epson Home Cinema 8350 projector. It's some 8+ years old, but we've replaced the bulb at some point and it's still going strong. Over the last year or so it occasionally has a problem with it's temperature sensor automatically shutting it off. It happens right after we turn it on -- it's completely cold. The red temperature light starts flashing, it shuts off and puts the fans on high. Once it gets it in its head to do this, no amount of turning it off and on again will get it running: it's out of service until some later date of its choosing.

After doing some reading, it seems Epson projectors tend to have this problem due to faulty/cheap thermistor. There's DIY instructions online for taking it out and just putting a resistor instead, but we don't have this kind of experience, and have never done any soldering.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Eps...Sensor-Repair/

Any suggestions? Maybe there's a reasonable repair shop we could take it to (preferably HK side) to do the job quickly? Or has someone done something like this and has some feedback about how doable it is?

It's pretty annoying to be all ready to plop on the sofa and watch a movie only to be disappointed by the red light.

Mr Chips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Hoping you techies might have some suggestions for this:

We have an Epson Home Cinema 8350 projector. It's some 8+ years old, but we've replaced the bulb at some point and it's still going strong. Over the last year or so it occasionally has a problem with it's temperature sensor automatically shutting it off. It happens right after we turn it on -- it's completely cold. The red temperature light starts flashing, it shuts off and puts the fans on high. Once it gets it in its head to do this, no amount of turning it off and on again will get it running: it's out of service until some later date of its choosing.

After doing some reading, it seems Epson projectors tend to have this problem due to faulty/cheap thermistor. There's DIY instructions online for taking it out and just putting a resistor instead, but we don't have this kind of experience, and have never done any soldering.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Eps...Sensor-Repair/

Any suggestions? Maybe there's a reasonable repair shop we could take it to (preferably HK side) to do the job quickly? Or has someone done something like this and has some feedback about how doable it is?

It's pretty annoying to be all ready to plop on the sofa and watch a movie only to be disappointed by the red light.
    I had the exact same problem with my 10 years + Epson projector... It cost me 500HKD at the Epson service centre, which I think was in Kwun Tong? Anyway, you can find it on the Epson HK website.

To add... you've tried cleaning the dust filter right? I used to clean mine every quarter and I bought a roll of filter from Ebay... it extends the light by around double doing this...

If you haven't been doing that... and you're lucky... that may be why it's overheating... when it's a faulty sensor that will usually trigger after only 5 seconds or so... not during a movie!

*edit* Sorry, re-read, yours is happening immediately and the fans going on full blast... yes, exactly like mine, the sensor... so yeah, 500 buckeroonies... cheaper than 12k replacement, am I right? Save the planet, save $$s! :-)

Skyhook likes this.

@MRChips nah, we didn't contact Epson yet. It wasn't purchased in HK and it's now quite old, so we're not hopeful that they'll be helpful, but that's interesting to know you got that fixed here in HK. Did you purchase the project in HK? Was it within warranty?

We don't do that kind of service on it, but from the outside we do clean it well. It's pretty clean where it is on the ceiling. But yes, it's a senor issue rather than an actual heat issue, as it happens immediately when turning it on. Most recently, we hadn't used it for over a week, it was in the A/C room, and the bulb didn't even come on before the red light started.

We've had so many issues lately of our equipment breaking down... all over 7 years. But we got the computer working again with a motherboard from Carousell.

Mr Chips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    @MRChips nah, we didn't contact Epson yet. It wasn't purchased in HK and it's now quite old, so we're not hopeful that they'll be helpful, but that's interesting to know you got that fixed here in HK. Did you purchase the project in HK? Was it within warranty?

We don't do that kind of service on it, but from the outside we do clean it well. It's pretty clean where it is on the ceiling. But yes, it's a senor issue rather than an actual heat issue, as it happens immediately when turning it on. Most recently, we hadn't used it for over a week, it was in the A/C room, and the bulb didn't even come on before the red light started.

We've had so many issues lately of our equipment breaking down... all over 7 years. But we got the computer working again with a motherboard from Carousell.
    I bought the projector used from Geoexpat in 2009 or 2010 ... the sensor went in 2019... My wife reckons they charged 100HKD to diagnose the problem and then subtracted that from the 600HKD repair bill... we had to leave it at the service centre in Kwun Tong for about a week.

Epson Authorized Service Center

Wah Fung Computer Service Ltd. (Hong Kong)

Unit 901, 9/F,
    Westin Centre, 26 Hung To Road,
    Kwun Tong, Kowloon, Hong Kong
    Tel: (852) 2807 8190
    Monday to Friday 10:00 to 19:00 HKT
    Elegiaque likes this.

If you want to just bypass the thermistor like the article suggests then it's a 5 minute fix for any TV repair guy. Since it's easy to test and verify the 'fix' then it should be a quick diagnosis by them as well.

Keep in mind that if your projector genuinely does get too hot it will damage it, perhaps irreparably. But since it's a 2nd hang jobbie you can just go get another one I suppose. Since the thermistor indirectly dictates the fan speed expect them to not spin faster when the projector heats up.

Personally I would also look into a potentiometer for the fans so you can manually adjust their speeds, since you'll be disabling the projectors ability to self-regulate. The TV repair guy, or anyone else handy with electronics can quickly determine the suitability of this.

Getting Epson themselves to fix it properly is by far the best option, even if it's hundreds of dollars.

Elegiaque likes this.

Okie Dokie... lugging this big projector to Kwun Tong sounds like a headache, and who knows how long they would hold it hostage. It would be worthwhile if we could verify ahead of time that they really will take it and repair it. I will try to call tomorrow. Not holding my breath...

We can look for a TV repair person in the area and see if they could do it. Agree, it's a risk to not regulate the temperature. We've never had it actually shut off from overheating, though.

I have the same problem. The projector wasn't purchased in HK so both Epson and Wah Fung (their official service centre) won't touch it. Does somebody know a reliable TV/consumer electronics repair guy who might help? (After 3 consecutive bad experiences walking into random phone repair places for phone repairs, I don't really want to go to a random guy.)