Like Tree10Likes

TV prices vs US

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    Nope...it's local Hong Kong stock....only $14K now
    The price.com.hk listing: The very low prices for this LG TV shown (around $14K) stick out against the others ($26-30K). And the fine print next to a few of the listing of the low prices contradict the prices shown (one Kowloon store shows $14,300 in bold, but in the details say the HK version is $21,600). The stores with lowball prices might be posting so low to just to get you to enquire.

These smaller retailers on price.com.hk will have lower prices while providing the same product. But they might have trouble getting stock quickly - I bought an LG OLED TV last year from one of the smaller cheaper places and I had to wait for about a month longer than they had originally promised for them to get the TV imported from Korea. I think Fortress has better control of existing stock / a bigger warehouse / more say with the supplier. However, I made sure the installation of the TV was from the LG-approved local installer, the same as if I had bought from the larger retail stores.

Sometimes Fortress will run sales or have discounts based on various credit cards which will close the gap with the smaller stores. Also buying from a Fortress or other electronic retailer in a mall like Times Square you often can get mall coupons these days - which may or may not be useful to you!

I've had luck with ordering from AV Home, BBE, and CompuMark for larger home electronics in the past few years. Not the lowest prices listed but ... I personally would not buy something expensive / large from stores with prices that seem a bit too good to be true.
    Sith likes this.

When I bought my latest TV (1 or 2 years ago) had similar experience. Fortress was a bit more expensive but you would get some cash vouchers and another appliance (that I wanted to buy anyway) so overall I came out cheaper by buying from Fortress (difference was I think the 1k Wellcome coupons)

Some of the price.com.hk retailers indeed advertise with cheaper pricing but it comes with conditions, so make sure you understand them before you buy (using Google translate works fine for that)
    Many times I didn’t buy from them in the end and went for the well known ones (like BBE, Builtin-Pro etc...) which are not the cheapest but at least no strings attached.

Anyway do your research!

And yes TV’s here are almost double the price than in the US or even Europe even though we live closer to the source.