Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By -1983-
  • 1 Post By Cegaiga
  • 1 Post By LesConard

Nintendo switch questions

Closed Thread

Nintendo switch questions

Some questions before I buy my niece a switch, and maybe one for myself. It seems from a previous thread, all online services in HK are in Chinese, does that make it difficult to access services like buying games or signing up?

What are my options for paying for online services other than inputting credit card info on the console, does nintendo sell those prepaid cards like with xbox or psn?

With regard to buying used physical games, do i need to worry about authenticity of the cartridge?I read somewhere that fake games can get you banned.

Any current or upcoming promo's or bundles I should know about? Currently it seems there are four versions of the switch (non portable), available in HK none of which are paired with any games.

LesConard likes this.

I recently got a switch again so will try to help.

First of all deciding on whether to get the handheld only (lite) or the hybrid (normal). The handheld is vastly cheaper, costing at around 1200 and the hybrid is priced at around 2200 (console by itself). Most places sell it at 2300 with a case and a screen protector as a bundle. Personally the lite version is not great as most games drain the battery, making it last for only a couple of hours. I would get the hybrid.

There are prepaid cards like xbox and psn that can you buy in convenient stores. Though I have never used this method before.

Regarding games, I wouldn't worry about buying used games if they come boxed. I know on carousell they sell a lot of very cheap (like less than 50hkd) for some games, but I think those are game codes which I would stay far away. Always prefer a physical copy myself. The nintendo store is in chinese, but if you go on your pc you can translate but the games are always overvalued. Most games expect to fork out around 300hkd.

Not many bundles out there, just expect 2300 for the console, free case and glass protector for the hybrid, and the lite to be 1200 by itself. Most bundles you don't save much anyway. Even on the used market, there are not many for sale because lack of updated models.

-1983- likes this.

U can start a US nintendo account and then buy Nintendo vouchers off Playasia, when u redeem dont forget to use a postal code which is tax free like texas or portland.

As for mobile vs hybrid, note u cant play ring fit on mobile version. Otherwise mobile is good but bad for the eyes.

People generally prefer buying physical games cause u can resell them later, whereas digital games are just linked to your nintendo account. People also prefer US zone games for resale value.

holasNic likes this.

I buy my games online and that way I don't have to worry about the game breaking or getting lost.i just wait for them to go on sale. I got Civilization 6 for just under £15! Bargain!

Definitely get the hybrid version. It's much better being able to play on the big screen especially for multi player. Otherwise you may as well buy a PlayStation.

You can have multiple users on that same Switch, and each set to a different region. So I have one user tied to the US store (per #3 you can buy vouchers online to bypass the normal restriction of needing a US address & credit card). This would generally suffice.

The Hong Kong store is integrated now, which is an improvement over early days where you had to buy on a web browser and redeem with a code... but HK game selection is different, with a lot of Japanese titles. Also all in Chinese (unless this changed recently?). However I use this for my Family Subscription.

... which you can then share with your US user (and other friends / family) so even those US users will have online access. Of course, this might be overkill if just for your niece. If you get one too, the family plan works out well.

Quote Originally Posted by njstone9:
    I buy my games online and that way I don't have to worry about the game breaking or getting lost.i just wait for them to go on sale. I got Civilization 6 for just under £15! Bargain!

Definitely get the hybrid version. It's much better being able to play on the big screen especially for multi player. Otherwise you may as well buy a PlayStation.
    Where are you buying it? I bought some shared game accounts off carousell, 5 games for $250 or so, but they require an internet connection to play.

I think just via the Nintendo online store.

I haven't bought many games. A couple of old ones I used to play on my Amiga like Worms to show off the good old days to my son!