Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GreenCatalonia
  • 1 Post By MABinPengChau

Amazon Prime Video: USA vs HK as location?

Amazon Prime Video: USA vs HK as location?

I signed up fo Amazon Prime via my US account.

So, when I try Prime Video here in HK, not surprisingly, it says "while you are abroad" and limits content.

If I go to primevideo.com, initially it asks me if I want to re-register my Prime location as Hong Kong rather than USA.

So, my question is whether there is any benefit to this?

With Netflix, the content seems to all be based on your IP. So, if you travel to another country, you see what Netflix offers in that country.

I would have thought Prime Video would be the same. So, that what I see now is what a person registered in HK sees.

Or, if I register to Hong Kong, and it no longer sees me as travelling abroad, does it open up any other content?

I'm a bit hesitant to try it if there's no benefit, as it says it's a one-time re-registration (resets Watchlist, etc).

Also, don't know if it will cause me any problems with shopping, though I currently I can shop to a US or HK address, so I imagine not.

FYI, this is the screenshot at primevideo.com.

Attachment 85690

Quote Originally Posted by jabalong:
    FYI, this is the screenshot at primevideo.com.

Attachment 85690
    FYI: It does not work for me!
    jabalong likes this.

I don't think the registered location matters. We have amazon prime and have primary addresses in HK for both delivery and credit card. The Amazon Fire thingy connects via a US address and has full access to the prime library.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCatalonia:
    FYI: It does not work for me!
    Let's try again...Name:  Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 17.01.11.png
Views: 100
Size:  297.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I don't think the registered location matters. We have amazon prime and have primary addresses in HK for both delivery and credit card. The Amazon Fire thingy connects via a US address and has full access to the prime library.
    Yeah, I wouldn't have thought it mattered, as the standard seems to be to filter content by one's IP location.

But just curious, as in the PrimeVideo warning, it mentions that changing the home location might affect available videos due to licensing agreements.

Quote Originally Posted by jabalong:
    Yeah, I wouldn't have thought it mattered, as the standard seems to be to filter content by one's IP location.

But just curious, as in the PrimeVideo warning, it mentions that changing the home location might affect available videos due to licensing agreements.
    Have never tried it. Since I have a US prime account have stuck with that. The son has some sort of UK prime account and the content is different on there.

Stupid question- I used a VPN in Taiwan to try to access a US prime account but AZ saw through that simple ruse and asked me to connect without a VPN (sigh). So you used a Fire thingee (with or without a VPN) and it works? Or do I just need a more clever VPN? (Geo blocks if I am on this Express VPN).

Cancelled my Prime account (only had it while in the US, was ordering stuff and watching it) but would consider getting it again if I can access video.

Mrs. Jones likes this.