Like Tree53Likes

Buying a Steam Deck in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

LOL I ended up buying L4D and L4D2 in a bundle. Aiming is a bit off, but still fun.

I think I'm going to partition my 1TB internal thus: 800 Steam OS (for steam games and Emudeck), 200 for a 'work' windows 11 with MS office. Then I'll have some microSD cards for windows (gaming), Batocera etc. I've somehow ended up with quite a few 512/400/200GB microSD cards. I also got a cheap Western Digital 1TB SSD thats only about 4x4x1cm, that I'm thinking I could MacGyver onto the back of my Steam Deck.

Tekken 7 is quite impressive considering it's a fairly old game and it's playing on a handheld. It was that one game that I had messed around with getting an eGPU (Gigabyte Aorus 1070) many years ago and was frustrated with (because it didn't work well with my Lenovo laptops, and is prone to randomly not working when it doesn't like the weather etc). It's good that is over.

I spoke too soon. In a moment of 'I'll just start with a clean slate' , I reimaged the steam deck to get back one big partition and then divided it up 750 for SteamOS and 250 for Windows 11. I got SteamOS working and then set about to install Win11, which seemed fine - curious thing I noticed was that I noticed a desktop icon leftover from the previous installation even though that had been wiped (I'm guessing it's due to using the same microsoft account, and these things seem to back up to Onedrive). Next thing I noticed whilst installing back my Steam games was that it was only recognizing 270 of the 750GB. No amount of restarting etc worked so in the end I reinstalled the SteamOS from recovery, which helped with the space issue but then I found that SteamOS stalls on reboot - the screen flashes at a low level after the icon. Windows seems okay.

I suspect something windows side b*ggered up the SteamOS boot. Maybe the last feature updates. I'm going to try once more, and forgo feature updates. Otherwise I'll just keep the internal SSD steamOS only and use win11 on a microSD. It's odd because my previous SteamOS-BTRFS-Windows11 triple partition was working ok.

Time for my favourite

all sounds stressful to someone like me...a dream to those who like to tinker!
    glad you seem to be enjoying the SD.

i've been caning Midnight Suns recently - really enjoyable!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiojiri Hiro:
    all sounds stressful to someone like me...a dream to those who like to tinker!
    glad you seem to be enjoying the SD.

i've been caning Midnight Suns recently - really enjoyable!
    I think what makes this device so cool is that it's already prepackaged in a very working condition that you don't need to do anything, other than just login to your Steam account. This way it's already a full fledged portable gaming console. That's enough already to play almost any game you want. But then, if you want to tinker, the sky is the limit with this thing.

Ah Midnight Suns is a Marvel thing? I had no idea before.

Regarding 'tinkering', yes, the fairly easy/painless restoration process is more conducive to 'tinkering'.

Shiojiri Hiro likes this.

Hooo boy. So last night, after work, I decided to 'start again'. I used my recovery USB to do the deed (reimage) and then afterwards I wanted to check that my SSD had only one working partition (out of the 8 that it makes). I had brain freeze and wondered why the boot manager showed my SSD twice. Those of you who only use SteamOS won't know what I'm talking about, anyway - so I just wanted to use my recovery USB to boot to check the partitions again (you can't alter the active partition, so you need to boot into recovery mode). That's when I found that my recovery USB that I've been using regularly won't work, the SD will either boot back into SteamOS (even if I select to boot from USB) or it'll just hang. I tried various permutations, dock no dock, direct into USBC with adapter etc, tried several other USB drives (they take a while to 'make'), I even tried a 8G microSD which others have said 'always does the trick'. It didnt' (it even sort of wrecked the card, which can't be recognised by any device anymore). There are a few threads that suggest that it isn't just my problem, some have even RMA'd their device (which might not be an option since I've cracked it open to put in the SSD). Booting from the microSD (Batocera and Windows) or USB (with or without hub, windows) was not a problem. So it didn't seem to be 'hardware' problem per se - the system didn't like booting SteamOS recovery. In between all of this, the SD itself played fine - I reinstalled Left 4 Dead 2 and played a bit. Windows 11 booted up ok from microSD. I contemplated installing a beta SteamOS.

Anyway, in the end I used a new-ish 128G SDcard and lo and behold, it booted quickly into recovery mode. It was late, so I just shutdown and will try again tonight. Hopefully it'll work again tonight.

TLDR
    My take is that it seems that Steam Deck recovery is very fussy about the USB drive, though I can't explain why the drive that worked only 10 minutes before to reimage, wouldn't boot again into recovery mode. Fingers crossed.

Shiojiri Hiro likes this.

Anyway, an update. New-SD card recovery drive works fine. I 'started over' again - re-imaged the deck, then made 2 partitions (750 for SteamOS , 250 for Windows). Reinstalled Windows 11. So far so good. I'll be very cautious over windows updates.

It's nice that you can reinstall the system, and games and still keep your saves/ stats etc.

Shiojiri Hiro and vmlinuz like this.

Really Tempted to get one of these, wheres the best place to buy one.

Just worried i wont use it to it's potential.

Komodo. Go official, for the warranty

vmlinuz, timonoj and Shiojiri Hiro like this.

Fingers crossed, so far so good. My SSD windows 11 is my 'work' partition with a legit copy of windows 11 and MS office. I have an unactivated win 11 on a microSD card with some games. So far everything is behaving. I got a cheap 16" 2k monitor which works quite well with the deck though with Samsung Dex the resolution is a mess. I'm thinking of getting on these Uperfect laptops to bring with me travelling for work - there is an integral battery, keyboard and trackpad. Potentially quite useful.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast