Like Tree38Likes

Buying a Steam Deck in Hong Kong?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Just got my 72h paying window. My reservation # was around 28,000, I was afraid they'd make me wait until another batch, but seems they might have some decent stock. Final order number (I reckon this comprises all APAC countries) is around 137,000. That's not a small number.

vmlinuz likes this.

Got mine the other day and have been playing Spider-Man whenever I can. Graphics are insane, though I have to keep it plugged in, and it does get a bit warm. I’d forgotten about hand cramps!!!

Sigh...still waiting for Komodo to ship mine. They claim to be having some logistics issues. They now say they will ship before year's end any unit ordered before Dec 1st. Mine was booked on Aug, but only offered me to pay for it on Dec 2nd. So I'm starting to doubt they'll ship mine now.

Last edited by timonoj; 21-12-2022 at 11:24 AM.

I'm probably going to get the OneXplayer 2. The detachable pads will help my aim to use it as a travel PC replacement (along with an external monitor).

Shiojiri Hiro likes this.

Not a bad model at all, better screen and more storage (and same CPU, right?). I initially considered other brands, but I thought Valve might be able to offer tighter bang for your buck. Also I reckon more widely supported UI, and I liked the idea of a full Linux system. My concern with the detachable controllers is that yeah, it's a very neat feature, but I feel it forces the device to have less physical space for what is CPU/GPU/battery/storage, and it might get cramped in there. But that's just a theory, they might be pulling it off even better than Valve's design.

CPU in Steam Deck is an AMD Zen2 according to google. It's a AMD 6800U in the OneXplayer 2. They say that the big-ish battery (65.5 Wh) should be good for about 10 hours of 'office work'.
    My gaming needs are very modest, I do have a Steam Account but it mostly full of free games. I definitely don't play triple AAA titles - 98% of my gaming time is Mr Driller (emulated Dreamcast) though I have a nostalgic hankering for Baku Baku Animal (Saturn) which only really works well on PC/ mednafen. Part of my reasoning of a windows handheld over the Linux Steam Deck.

Plus I can take it with me to travel, conferences/ meetings where I can still do last minute work on powerpoint presentations, and even hook it up to their AV system for lectures. I'm also editing a book over next year or so, but I really need big desktop monitors and a good keyboard for that.

Hmmmm. Most of the arguments seem to claim you prefer something that is also a PC. But the Deck is ALSO a PC. Just one running Linux. But exit Steam, you have a full KDE Desktop by default. It's pretty much no effort install LibreOffice, and I'd assume it comes with a browser such as Firefox (though again, no effort to install it from the Software store). I believe it can run emulators such as Mednafen and Flycast no problem, these days the difference Win/Linux for emulation ain't that big, some had some leeway initially on Linux first.

With all this I mean, if you have your mind made, sure go ahead and buy whichever will satisfy you best. But you can just as well plug a keyboard/mouse on the deck, and hook it to a monitor with any USB dongle. Talking peripherals, and emulators, and most of the software, both should behave the same. So it's mostly whether you prefer the extra beef/power, the extra resolution, or some other options of the OneXplayer within the hardware itself, but not so much software IMHO.

oh man that sucks. I paid for mine around the same time as you…

My order was fulfilled by Acer in hk.

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj:
    Sigh...still waiting for Komodo to ship mine. They claim to be having some logistics issues. They now say they will ship before year's end any unit ordered before Dec 1st. Mine was booked on Aug, but only offered me to pay for it on Dec 2nd. So I'm starting to doubt they'll ship mine now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiojiri Hiro:
    oh man that sucks. I paid for mine around the same time as you…

My order was fulfilled by Acer in hk.
    Acer, huh? I'd have thought it would be something like SF. After some time they released a bit more clear clarification, this time explaining that reservations done before Dec 1st (mine was back in Aug) should be fulfilled before the end of the year. So there's still hope...What order # was yours? I'm at 138xxx I think.

mine was 144xxx

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj:
    Acer, huh? I'd have thought it would be something like SF. After some time they released a bit more clear clarification, this time explaining that reservations done before Dec 1st (mine was back in Aug) should be fulfilled before the end of the year. So there's still hope...What order # was yours? I'm at 138xxx I think.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast