Like Tree38Likes

Buying a Steam Deck in Hong Kong?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

OK ok. Yes PC can apply to all/many operating systems, and I was just using the term to refer to windows system generically. I have tried Linux, on an old Dell. It was functional, but not my first choice of OS.

Quote Originally Posted by chobochobo:
    OK ok. Yes PC can apply to all/many operating systems, and I was just using the term to refer to windows system generically. I have tried Linux, on an old Dell. It was functional, but not my first choice of OS.
    I'll agree that it takes some getting used to. In my home, most of my desktops/laptops are running already some sort of KDE flavor (it has a start menu and taskbar with rather similar language to Windows, although way more useful and customizable), so the Deck having this as base when not running Steam really made my choice easy.

It's better now, but I'm sure I'm not alone in finding out (often at the lectern) that the powerpoint you made in MS Office on your mac isn't completely compatible with the windows machine they provide. Nowadays I always transfer the powerpoint onto a windows laptop for final editing/ checking. So I would definitely not use the equivalent linux apps for MS Office type stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Yes, if the idea is to directly upgrade I'd have gone to the 64GB version. However I found a few points that made me prefer the 512GB model:
    -Better anti glaring screen coating, so the screen is less reflective and you're not seeing your big ass face the whole time you're playing
    -Slightly better carrying pouch included, which meh
    -The replacement...ain't that easy. The NVME SSD M.2 you need to find is of the smallest kind, 2230 which not that many shop carry (couldn't find one on Jumbo Computer when I was checking about this). And then, accessing the M.2 slot on the Deck seems to require going around quite some stuff, it's not as directly accessible as I would like it to be, so in the end I decided to go to the easier option for now. When 1TB or even 2TB in M.2 2230 are more widely available, I'll consider an upgrade.
    -A point not mentioned about the 64GB model is that, even you can obviously expand with a very fast 1TB microSD, it's still not fast enough for the shader cache of each game, which by default (and unless a lot of fidgeting is done to change the location) goes to the SSD. This needs the fastest storage available or the game struggles to run. And the shader cache seems to take a lot of space fast.
    emx likes this.

i wondering whether to get the dock now or not.

boshed 150hrs over the hols playing spidey.

FWIW I got a 256GB model and put a 512GB SD in it - seemed a reasonable compromise. Currently got 40 games on it, with 70GB free internal, 120GB free on SD. And I've actually got a couple of docks, one JSAUX with all the electronics built in, and a generic one which I use with a USB-C hub/docking station - one is on my desk plugged into my PC monitor, one is by the TV.

emx, timonoj and Shiojiri Hiro like this.

how are the docks? is it worth getting the official one? Or the JSAUX ones/cheaper usbc hubs are sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiojiri Hiro:
    how are the docks? is it worth getting the official one? Or the JSAUX ones/cheaper usbc hubs are sufficient?
    Any of the current USB-C docks can probably work, TBH. I'm currently using a USB-C dongle that came with HDMI, DP, several USBs, a VGA and LAN. It also worked just fine on the Nintendo Switch, I think if it does work for the Switch it will be OK for the Deck (wattage differences considered...but then again, you CAN charge it with the Switch charger too). I bought one of those JSAUX, I believe, as it's more convenient to place under the telly than a hanging dongle. I'm waiting for Taobao delivery.
    Shiojiri Hiro likes this.

New contender joins the party...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast