Like Tree53Likes

Buying a Steam Deck in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Anyone tried running windows on the steam deck please?

If you go to the SSP golden arcade you'll see shops selling them, or even just having a few around the stand. I saw a few running Windows. I guess it's a thing. I honestly just prefer the full Linux experience. Not sure if you can get the Steam deck UI on Windows either.

Quote Originally Posted by chobochobo:
    Anyone tried running windows on the steam deck please?
    Lots of people have - but not me. Have you seen my username and icon?

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    Lots of people have - but not me. Have you seen my username and icon?
    Lol...not so much branding here, but pretty much same case here. My home systems already run KDE and everything is Linux. A bit uncanny to see exactly the same desktop (well without customizations) on the little handheld just as I booted it up the first time.
    vmlinuz likes this.

My main reason for wanting windows is that I need to run MS Office for full compatibility. I've seen people running it off an SD card, USB drive or re-partitioning the internal drive.

timonoj likes this.

As an inveterate overthinker, I am still thinking about this. Perhaps a 64GB version with a view to upgrading to 1TB later. It seems that performance from microSD cards isn't that bad. Can anyone confirm this please?

Quote Originally Posted by chobochobo:
    As an inveterate overthinker, I am still thinking about this. Perhaps a 64GB version with a view to upgrading to 1TB later. It seems that performance from microSD cards isn't that bad. Can anyone confirm this please?
    Sure the microSD can be fast enough, if you buy a decent one. Your bane of existence will be the shader cache. This is a cache of precalculated shaders that EVERY 3D game in Linux needs. This...grows rapidly. And Steam doesn't have an easy way to manage it. AND, it cannot be easily moved away from the default storage location, which of course is in the SSD. And, apparently when uninstalling the games, at this point Steam doesn't clear the associated cache. So...this tends to grow with time, and might require maintenance at some point. With a 64GB SSD, even if you DONT install games to it, it will still fill at some point.

Yes, I read/ watched stuff about the cache. I think there was supposed to some update from Valve that might help with cleaning that up? I won't be playing much in the way of AAA games. Right now, I'm thinking of some emulation (Mr Driller on Dreamcast, Baku Baku Animal on Saturn which needs windows so also looking at dual boot/ windows on sdcard), maybe play Dungeon Keeper again. I don't game that much, but was looking at something that would replace my Switch when it conks out. Hmm, maybe I'm persuading myself not to get the Steam Deck, again. LOL

Mr Driller on Dreamcast, Baku Baku Animal on Saturn
    😂

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast