Like Tree53Likes

Buying a Steam Deck in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

After all that, i ended up ordering the 64GB version yesterday. I had looked very carefully at the 6800U handhelds (onexplayer 2, GPD win 4) that ended on Indiegogo yesterday. I'm just not much of a gamer anymore, and the windows on steam deck experience (along with a portable LCD monitor) might just be ok for my needs (Powerpoint, MS Word, and content consumption). We'll see I guess.

Tracking says that I will get my deck tomorrow

vmlinuz likes this.

And it's arrived. Updates are being in

And now playing Mr Driller, dreamcast, batocera

timonoj and vmlinuz like this.

That was a fast delivery. Enjoy the gaming!

Installed windows 10 onto micro sd card. Now I have new windows handheld too, to play Baku Baku animal

Played around with getting the emulator for Baku Baku animal 'perfect'. It runs fine, but just windowed, controller setup is a bit off to compared to the simple and effective way you do it on a 'proper' pc with a 'proper' USB controller. Basically I could register the important buttons (the game only really needs the D pad and one button or two to rotate blocks a la Tetris). Biggest downer was the issue with Windows updates - it seems that the updates that need a restart halfway are problematic. Restarting (via this soft reset/ restart) goes to Steam OS, and if you the reboot in Windows, Update has kittens and says it has to undo the changes. Maybe there's a work around as there are only a few reports on this (with no solution).

With this, I tried the Retroarch based Saturn emulator on Batocera. Didn't work (went to menu, disk not detected), then played around with Bios (adding more than usually needed on PC) and then voila. Full screen full speed Baku Baku animal.

I'm happy, but am now reassessing my use case for this machine. If Retroarch Saturn emulation works, I can just use Retroarch on Steam OS. if so, then I don't need Batocera (which is basically booting into a new OS on microSD). It's not that inconvenient, but I would need to upgrade the 64GB SSD. I was waiting for the Sabrent 1TB which is back ordered until end of the month. Or I could go for a 512 now. Probably best to wait. And so far, I don't really need that much room on the internal drive at the moment as I have only installed the last 'long' game that I played through - Brutal legends which is 8G.

If I can't overcome the windows update problem then it's probably not that good as a secondary 'work' machine when travelling. It's not that bad in any case, as bringing a steam deck with a portable monitor (and keyboard/ mouse) isn't that much lighter than a steam deck and a (nongaming) laptop. LOL so much to think about.

Overall, I'm impressed mostly.

Last edited by chobochobo; 06-02-2023 at 08:56 AM.
    Shiojiri Hiro likes this.

It all sounds so complex! 'User' level IT novice that I am, I have just been playing STEAM games and I am really enjoying it. I have a 16hr flight to new york soon so am looking forward to playing civ when i am not sleeping.

I am aware i'm probably using 40% of what the SD is capable of, but i'm worried if i start tinkering it'll mess up the Sd!

I am also very aware that to date, i have been whiling away the hours playing Hades on it...which I have on my Switch (which is also lighter and more comfy still than the SD.)

Quote Originally Posted by chobochobo:
    Played around with getting the emulator for Baku Baku animal 'perfect'. It runs fine, but just windowed, controller setup is a bit off to compared to the simple and effective way you do it on a 'proper' pc with a 'proper' USB controller. Basically I could register the important buttons (the game only really needs the D pad and one button or two to rotate blocks a la Tetris). Biggest downer was the issue with Windows updates - it seems that the updates that need a restart halfway are problematic. Restarting (via this soft reset/ restart) goes to Steam OS, and if you the reboot in Windows, Update has kittens and says it has to undo the changes. Maybe there's a work around as there are only a few reports on this (with no solution).

With this, I tried the Retroarch based Saturn emulator on Batocera. Didn't work (went to menu, disk not detected), then played around with Bios (adding more than usually needed on PC) and then voila. Full screen full speed Baku Baku animal.

I'm happy, but am now reassessing my use case for this machine. If Retroarch Saturn emulation works, I can just use Retroarch on Steam OS. if so, then I don't need Batocera (which is basically booting into a new OS on microSD). It's not that inconvenient, but I would need to upgrade the 64GB SSD. I was waiting for the Sabrent 1TB which is back ordered until end of the month. Or I could go for a 512 now. Probably best to wait. And so far, I don't really need that much room on the internal drive at the moment as I have only installed the last 'long' game that I played through - Brutal legends which is 8G.

If I can't overcome the windows update problem then it's probably not that good as a secondary 'work' machine when travelling. It's not that bad in any case, as bringing a steam deck with a portable monitor (and keyboard/ mouse) isn't that much lighter than a steam deck and a (nongaming) laptop. LOL so much to think about.

Overall, I'm impressed mostly.

Still impressed with the Steam Deck. Still mostly as an emulation device, currently on a Tetris binge of all things. I did try the 32 bit consoles and they were quite impressive, but apart from the short blast of a version of Tekken or Ridge racer, I generally go back to the simple stuff - aka Mr Driller, Baku Baku animal and now, Tetris. I am slowly working my way through Brutal Legends in 10 minute sessions. It's the only game I have on Steam itself, and probably one of the last 'long' games that I completed back in the day. I got a dock, an external LCD for cheap and now waiting on a decent keyboard/ mouse combo to see if I can work with it - either Linux or Windows.

My 1TB SSD is on the way, and I'm wondering how to size the partitions for Steam OS and Windows 10 dual boot.

Quite a lot of my Steam back catalogue comes from Humble Bundles and similar, which means I actually have a bunch of repeated/unused/unwanted keys... Since we're all friends here, and I'm getting the hell out of Dodge in a couple of weeks, should I have a quick run through my spare keys and see if anyone wants some?

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast