Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chobochobo

Handheld gaming

Cool Handheld gaming

Anyone a big fan of gaming?
    I don't plan on buying a gaming laptop but considering gaming handheld. Any recommendations?

Steam Deck, Switch, Miyoo Mini.

Steam Deck is probably the best handheld device out there. With all the sales on steam and the latest titles, it is for gamers.

The Switch Lite is a good cheap alternative but Nintendo lacks titles, unless you are into their exclusives.

There is a glut of devices out there at the moment. You need to decide what sort of games you want to play eg retro/ emulation, current triple AAA etc.

Any recommended place to buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by domokun:
    Steam Deck, Switch, Miyoo Mini.

Mostly adventure and shooting games

Quote Originally Posted by chobochobo:
    There is a glut of devices out there at the moment. You need to decide what sort of games you want to play eg retro/ emulation, current triple AAA etc.

Current or retro. If retro, there are many cheap devices under 200 that can play up to PS2/DC/GC. If current, you'll want something like the Steam Deck/ROG Ally/Legion Go and there are new devices from Onexplayer/Zotac/MSI etc. If you want android gaming then there's stuff like the Odin 2.

hkworker123 likes this.

by 200, I mean USD.

Depends on what systems you want to play.. too much choice on the market now.

I got a Miyoo Mini v1 that was released in December 2021. Plays all the old stuff up to PS1.. good enough for me.
    From what I read on the MM Reddit thread, they currently have a v4 - but hard to get as they get snapped up within mins on their official Ali Express shop. That, or get a Miyoo Mini Plus, super cheap and easily available, does same thing as the original one but with WiFi.

https://retrododo.com/best-retro-handhelds/

Best to check the reviews on YouTube first , but all comes down to what you want to play really and how much you are willing to spend. Many awesome handhelds for less than 700 HKD now that run everything from early 2000s and below (minus Saturn). Some devices can connect to the TV via BT.. just get a 8BitDo controller and you're set.

Last edited by chodaboy; 11-06-2024 at 02:54 PM.

What’s your budget and what type of games do you intend to play?

How many hours of handheld gaming do you intend to play whilst on the move? Remember to check out the battery life for each system.

Delta, RetroArch, PPSSPP Apps are available on iOS, if you're into Retro