Netvigator, Xbox 360 and Windows Media Centre

Closed Thread

Netvigator, Xbox 360 and Windows Media Centre

Hi all,

Newbie here, i am wondering if anybody could please help me. I have just moved apartments and am having difficulty connecting my xbox 360 to my Windows Media Centre on my PC. I am subscribed to Now TV and broadband and i want to connect my xbox 360 to my Windows Media Centre on my PC via the netvigator modem/router to allow me to watch movies on my tv. In my old apartment i had no trouble connecting, however, now i am really struggling. Before, all i did was connect my Xbox 360 and PC via a router and i was away. The problem lies (i think) in the netvigator modem/router. I have contacted now tv and they have said that the netvigator works as both a modem and a router all in one. So, it should be a case of connecting the xbox and pc up through the netvigator modem/router? I have tried this and the xbox cannot locate the pc. I am thinking the problem is the netvigator modem but now tv have assured me that isn't the problem, so what else could it be? Would i be better off buying a 'proper' router and connecting everything through that rather than the netvigator one?

Many thanks

Pete

Have changed you netvigator service? Do you now have the wireless modem router?

If so I can make a guess at your problem. The nevigator modem doesn't seem to support / have UPnP. I have my PS3 'connected' via the netvigator wireless modem router to my PC so it can stream files. To make this work I had to upgrade to media player11 which allows the whole thing to work with DLNA (pardon my clumsy use of computer terms as this is a stretch for my limited computer skills!)

Last edited by DavidHK; 14-03-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

This is the new netvigator i have - Netvigator Wireless Modem

I'm not sure what i was on previously as i wasn't the one who paid the isp, (the landlord was paying my bills). All i know is that i had a cisco modem and a router and my xbox and pc connected through the router.

I already have Windows Media Player 11 so i'm not sure that's the problem, but thanks for your suggestion. The problem i'm having is that my xbox can't recognise my pc and vice versa. I can get to the step where i get my 8 digit code on the xbox but then when i try to set it up on the pc windows media centre, i get to the setting extender stage but my pc cannot locate my xbox either. I'm offered three options to verify : 1. My extender is on and connected to the same network as the computer. 2 The set up key is correct. 3. My firewall is set up to allow UPnP discovery.

1. My extender (xbox) is on and as far as i know is connected to the computer, all leads/wires are connected. 2. The set up key is correct. 3. Not sure about my firewall, i have switched it off to see if that works but don't really want to keep it off. I'm not that clued up about firewalls and port forwarding etc.

It seems maybe that option 3 and what you suggested, the modem/router doesn't support UPnP (whatever that is) is at fault. This is what makes me think maybe i should buy a 'proper' router and have everything go through that? I don't want to buy a router if i don't need it though.

Sorry to go on

Thanks in advance.