Picture problem on PC TV

Closed Thread

Picture problem on PC TV

hi. attached pictures are from my digital tv through totalmedia 3.5 (world channel, tvb news channel). The 4 main channels (jade, pearl, world, home) have poor quality picture but other channels are excellent, which is surprising. I switched my PCI-E tuner card with a USB stick tuner and same problem (so not problem of the tuner?). it is also unlikely to be the video card since it is only on the 4 channels where i get poor quality. this was working ok previously. any idea what could be the problem and what i should do to check? thanks

My setup:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz
    Intel D45SG P45 motherboard
    4GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Windows Vista Ultimate
    1TB SATA HD
    Asus Radeon 4850 512MB DDR3 memory
    DMBTH TV tuner PCI-E: Mygica X8506 (switched with Magic Pro ProHDTV USB)
    Total Media 3.5

This is just a hunch, but the digital channels can alternately use MPEG-2 or h.264 encoding. It's possible that the h.264 decoding is broken.

So I would try re-installing the drivers or installing the K-Lite codec pack (Google it) which is a benefit to your system either way.

You can try recording the channel and playing it back in some other software and find it plays fine in the other software.

thanks for the advice. i installed k-lite and when i played the recorded program the picture quality was excellent. what do you reckon is wrong then and how can i watch tv directly through totalmedia with good picture?

which drivers are you suggesting re-install? i had already reinstalled the display card driver and tuner card driver (as well as totalmedia) but no improvement.

thanks

To me it's a problem with the TotalMedia software because you can't pick which decoders TotalMedia uses. I have a USB-HDTV stick from another manufacturer (Hauppauge) but also using TotalMedia. I went to their HK distributor's website (shooting.com.hk) and got updated software. So I would go the same route - web search, call, or go back to the shop.

BTW, there is a software update button inside the TotalMedia -> Setup -> General -> About TotalMedia.

thanks. i reinstalled everything again (display card driver, tuner card driver, total media) and now its ok. i suspect there was a problem with the display card driver as i had updated it not long ago as the older version seemed to have some conflict with a recent windows reinstall (another frustrating story).

for the display driver reinstall i deleted the existing driver file and installed from the display card cd so it was the original one so now it seems to be working.

btw, i updated totalmedia, afterwards picture kept stuttering. so i uninstalled, then reinstalled the old version and it was ok. often 'updates/upgrades' are not improvements!