Audio / Video / Computer Canto learning stuff

Closed Thread

Audio / Video / Computer Canto learning stuff

im looking for a canto audio cd, or something of that nature that can help me learn canto....

ive used pimsleur mandarin, which isnt too bad...but i didnt know if there was a good place to buy this stuff here....preferably in hung hom or TST

does no expat try to learn the language?

Materials for Cantonese are rather scarce compared to Mandarin. Have you been to the Commercial Press in TST? There is a good range of books there, but I haven't seen much in the way of AV stuff. I picked up a book from Chung Hwa Book Company in Yau Ma Tei called "Learning Cantonese Through Stories" which comes with a CD and is written in characters, Yale romanisation, and English. It isn't the finest fiction writing, but it covers quite a range of useful words.

The only other thing I can think of is the public domain FSI audio files which I am hoping will appear as a torrent soon. Watch this thread http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/pho...2,44375,page=1

damn...i was willing to buy it til i saw the price... 500 bones for that?

i hope that torrent is out soon...but it probably wont have the book too will it

Some good news for all learners of Cantonese.
    The Foreign Services Institute (FSI) Cantonese audio course is now available as a torrent. This course was created by the US government as teaching material for diplomats. It is in the public domain hence a legal torrent.

It isn't a very popular torrent at the moment, so if you do download it, please seed for as long as posssible.
    http://www.mininova.org/tor/156746

@mattstewart: I don't think the text is included, but as the course is public domain, I imagine it can be found somewhere on the net for free. I've had a brief search without result so far.

there is a thread already that covers this topic.
    Im to lazy to find it now, but its there because i gave my opinions about 4-5 or so books.

We have an electronic talking dictionary for Mandarin, English, Cantonese and French (very small, about the size of 2 mobile phones) My husband is using it to learn Cantonese and Mandarin and I am using it to learn French. It is great! We bought this from Malaysia but you can get a similar one (Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese and English, no French) from Fortress.

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Kean:
    We have an electronic talking dictionary for Mandarin, English, Cantonese and French (very small, about the size of 2 mobile phones) My husband is using it to learn Cantonese and Mandarin and I am using it to learn French. It is great! We bought this from Malaysia but you can get a similar one (Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese and English, no French) from Fortress.
    I am interested in getting an electronic talking English / Cantonese translator. I had a look in Fortress and wasn't convinced with the quality and thought them all a bit overpriced. $2000 seems a bit pricey. There was an add on for the PSP but that only had mandarin and not cantonese.

Can anyone recommend a good english / cantonese translator for a reasonable price?

Thanks