Tips on buying Portable DVD Player

Closed Thread

Tips on buying Portable DVD Player

Is it true that portable DVD player bought from UK may not work in HK? Theres`s cheaper portable DVD player here brand like venturer which is obviously made in Taiwan or China but somebody told me that its not worth buying them as it won`t work in HK.
    Please advice.
    Thanks

Depends on why they said it would not work. Powersupply is not an issue, region coding is an issue.

Anything that is cheap in the UK and made in Taiwan / China will be cheaper here or across the border in Shenzhen.

By here I assume you mean Manila? I believe that the Phillipines is in Region 3 like Hong Kong. If so then you should have no problem. A UK-sourced portable DVD player may be region-coded (i.e. not zone-free or region-free or all-code) which means that it can only play Region 2 DVDs.

Thanks for your reply.
    I`m here in the UK. I want to buy portable DVD player for a friend whose going back to Hong Kong as my christmas present to her. I just wanted to make sure that she can use the portable DVD Player. I found one in the market which is cost only £49 but it said its region 2.

Sorry but it will not be able to play Region 3 DVDs sold here.

I see. So its not worth then. Thanks.