Nintendo DS lite or PSP

Closed Thread

Nintendo DS lite or PSP

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and would really like some advice as to what might be a better game console - a nintendo lite or a PSP in terms of price, graphics, better value, better variety of games etc.

I understand games some games can be downloaded free - where might I find these? Also, does anyone know what is the price of a nintendo DS lite now? I know the PSP is about $1800 at the Sony shops.

I read in some threads that you can buy the HK, US or Japanese version of the Nintendo here. What would you advice - would there be any problems (in terms of availbility of games etc) if I buy the non HK version? I understand there's no local guarantee for the non HK version - only shop gurantee but is that sufficient? Are the shops reliable enough to repair if something goes wrong? How long is the shop guarantee versus the local guarantee?

I appreciate any advice from anyone with experience in either of these games console and the best price available.

Thanks so much.

depends on what type of games you like, if you want more mature based games go for psp, more variety on psp in my opinion, better visuals/sound and more capicity on psp umd/better size games, thus, more video cut scenes and voice overs. do you prefer more traditional video games, such as sports, first person shootem up, racing, rpgs, then go for psp, you can also watch video on psp.

price, smaller and download only psp go is around HK$1700/1800, but the larger, versitile and umd (eg, cheaper games esp on secondhand) psp 3000 is around HK$1500
    games cost HK$100 to HK$250

if you prefer more children/family/female orientated games ( though there are a few exceptions) and touch based games, then ds is more your cuppa of tea

ds ll/xl is around HK$1600/ ds lite i is at HK$1300/ds lite around HK$1000

games cost HK$200- HK$350

ps, portable consoles are very very reliable, unless you drop it, unlikely you will need/use guarantee/warrante

Ok I'll give you a "in a nutshell" review, I own a PSP2000 and a NDS Lite, I love both, but here are the difference.

Graphics: PSP wins
    Hardware: PSP wins
    Sounds: again PSP wins

In reality, you should not care about hardware, the hardware is only as good as its games, if there are no games to play, I can give you a system with 10 cores and graphics that tops today enthusiast PC graphics card, which in the end will do absolutely nothing if you don't have any games you want to play on it.

Do remember that they are of different breeds, it's like trying to compare an apple with an orange.

In my humble opinion (IMHO), PSP is great for sports games, a few action games (FPS, RTS, etc.), but the NDS has some great RPG / Adventure games, some will say that NDS will be better for girls since it has a touch screen that you can poke at with a pen, also NDS has a lot of cute'sie games like cooking mama, pet chihuahua, etc..

Really it boils down to your flavor of games, if you like games like Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy Crisis Core, FIFA, Dynasty Warriors, Metal Gear, then go PSP..

If you like games like Castlevania, Final Fantasy (III,IV,1 & 2 which are the classics), Zelda, Pokemon, there are too many RPG's to list, the touch screen does add a different style of game play which is unique compared to PSP..

Now regarding homebrew software, both supports it with the proper mod for PSP, R4DS or similar for the NDS, I wont dabble too much in this but you can technically make both a portable media/MP3 player, given the PSP will have a advantage in this area due to the hardware specs.

As for free games, I don't know of any specifically for the NDS, PSP you can join the Playstation network which will allow you to download demos or trail runs of some of its latest games, mind you that if you mod your PSP, you may or may not be able to join the Playstation Network without updating to its latest firmware, which in turn will overwrite your PSP mod. (or are you referring to "free" = pirated? use Google)

An NDS lite (non local distributor) without an R4 cost around $900, PSP cost more, the lastest models are the 3000 and the PSP go, don't think they have managed to mod the GO yet, but the 3000 can only be modded via a emulator, 1000 (the big fat brick) and 2000 series can be flashed via firmware and hence just that, finding it used actually cost almost as much as buying a 3000 new.

I don't recall why I bought a NDS Lite that was not warrantied by a local distributor (my old one broke after dropping it like 10 times over the period of 2 years so recently replaced it), mine came from Korea, think I was told that the warranty/repair process was a royal pain in the rear, the offical local distributed one at the time was $1200 compared to $900 which is what I paid for mine.

I bought my PSP too long ago so I don't remember how much I paid for it.

Both the PSP and NDS build quality is pretty tough, sure if you treat it like your step child and drop it on it's head a few times, it might be a couple sandwiches short of a picnic afterward, you get the idea.

Hope this helps

Last edited by justsomebody2; 09-04-2010 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks for your advice. Where is the good place to buy an PSP 3000 then besides the offical Sony shops. What would a good package include?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus55:
    Thanks for your advice. Where is the good place to buy an PSP 3000 then besides the offical Sony shops. What would a good package include?

Thanks again.
    hk possibly has more shops selling psp3000 ( actually it's 3006 in hk) more per km than anywhere in the world, pls note also psp3000 may not be able to be hacked thus, no pirated games, thus, look out for a m33 6.00 ver hacked psp

try golden arcade, sham shui po - best range, over 50 shops sell psps there,

or wan chai 188, over 30 shops sell psp 3000.

or perfect/something denki in sino centre, great store with good range.

haggle with them for a good package and possible a game or two of your choice, also memory card, and other accessories, in fact psp is pretty much fixed price, but accessories and games will be far cheaper at these places than broadway/sony store/fortess, etc..

Hi, I am willing to sell my psp 1000 for 1500 hong kong dollars. Will have 5 games included, including Winning Eleven. Also includes a carrying case with a wristband and UMD slot. The psp screen itself is not scratched, just one or two small ones at the back. Original battery and charger is included. Original boxes for the games are not included, but they can all fit into the psp's carrying case.

Just email [email protected] for info on the psp

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    hk possibly has more shops selling psp3000 ( actually it's 3006 in hk) more per km than anywhere in the world, pls note also psp3000 may not be able to be hacked thus, no pirated games, thus, look out for a m33 6.00 ver hacked psp

try golden arcade, sham shui po - best range, over 50 shops sell psps there,

or wan chai 188, over 30 shops sell psp 3000.

or perfect/something denki in sino centre, great store with good range.

haggle with them for a good package and possible a game or two of your choice, also memory card, and other accessories, in fact psp is pretty much fixed price, but accessories and games will be far cheaper at these places than broadway/sony store/fortess, etc..

Don't haggle with the small stores as they will end up selling you some second hand stuff and pass it off as new.

I recommend buying directly off one of Sony's dealers or Fotress/ Broadway (if they sell them) or ToysRus.

There are a handful of authorized dealers in HK and the rest all either selling gray market stuff or secondhand goods passed off as new hence the cheaper prices. You might save a few bucks in the short terms but a few months down the line when the unit breaks down you will not be able to get it fixed.

Well, apparently the iPod touch alone (excluding iPad & iPhone) is outselling the NDS & PSP combined for games so don't rule it out unless you want to wait for the 3D NDS.