question on PSN/XBL Lag in HK

Closed Thread

question on PSN/XBL Lag in HK

Hi, I just moved back to HK from the US and am looking to buy a PS3. I play mostly MW2 which is highly dependent on your internet connection and ping times. I tried it on XBL several months ago here in HK and found the lag to be a big problem - always 2bar connections, bullets hitting you after you've gone around a corner, skipping all over the place, etc.
    Do others on this forum experience the same issues? I don't want to go through the expense of buying a new LCD and PS3 to find out that it's unplayable.
    FWIW, I live in Sai Kung, and the internet connections and I have a feeling the internet is slower out here. Would upgrading my internet speed make much difference in ping times? Are internet connections better in the city? Thanks.

I play BF:BC2 on the PS3, I don't have any problem with lag. Actually I can torrent and play online at the same time absolutely fine.

I have HKBN100

i have nowtv 8MB service- on speedtest.net my best speed is around 5MB, my slower speeds are around 2MB- ping times around 50ms.

i'd say 50% of the time ti's fine, the other 50% the lag is quite bad.

HKBN BB100 - the connection tends to be laggy at times. Casual gamers tend not to notice the lag but I see it when I used to play MW2 and lately on BFBC2 or R2.

I just got a Netvigator connection (8M) and use that for my gaming. So far no issues at all.

I use a wired connection and usually have chat channels open since I game with a clan.

Thanks, I think that answers my questions. I will get the PS3, might wait till the new SKUs are available though. I use Netvigator, pings based on speedtest.net are about 50-60ms, download varies anywhere from 2mb/s to 6mb/s depending on time of day, precipitation, humidity, and who knows what else. Ever since that deep sea earthquake several years ago that cut a whole bunch of cables, I've noticed a lot of latency and unreliability in the connections in HK, at least where I live.

My PSN is "shumotoriki" feel free to add me if you like, play a lot of MW2, could use some HK/Asia based friends to cut down on lag.

@Shum
    Will send you a FR.

Jared do you still play BFBC2? Haven't seen you on it for a while, and I recently just got a headset so looking for people to squad with

Yeah man..still on but not as much as I was playing Red Dead on the 360 this weekend. I picked up a set of Astro's A30 & A40's when I was back in the US and need to test the voice levels so i'll message you when I see you online.