Like Tree34Likes

Was I discriminated against?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    bdw

Can some "white" person with no PR, no friends at Shanghai bank, and nothing better to do please go to Shanghai bank at lunch time and test this racial discrimination theory out? Thanks in advance.

when i arrived in hk back in 1995, i needed an introduction in order to open a standard chartered bank chequing account...

i'm white, if that matters (which i don't think it does).

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    Can some "white" person with no PR, no friends at Shanghai bank, and nothing better to do please go to Shanghai bank at lunch time and test this racial discrimination theory out? Thanks in advance.
    I already did, just jump back to my post!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I needed an intro to open an account with HSBC (back in the 1980s). Then I had enough of that bank and its bunglings, I walked into SCB and opened an account with no intro (also in the 80s). But I think it helped that, when I opened an account, I said my salary would be paid directly into it.

Discrimination happens. Been discriminated against in Hong Kong by landlords, taxi drivers, shop assistants, etc. It's annoying - not a potential lawsuit.

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay
    I already did, just jump back to my post!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Your right. Sorry. After reading the lengthy OP I only have time to skim the rest of the comments

Ditto with Carang, Claire and Jay Kay, HSBC used to need an introduction from an existing HSBC account holder when opening my first HSBC account.

That's just how the banks were/are here. Discrimination never entered my mind. But then again, I don't hide behind the race card when I can't get my own way, in a foreign land.

Every locality has its own set of rules, which is life. No need to get stroppy about it, because the system is different here, to back home.

When in Rome......

Well, this is how a bank operates in Hong Kong, my friends, and like shri said, it has been this way for hundreds of years. Nothing about racism.

A Chinese word of the day "??" (Po Bou). It has a long history that any one wants to open a bank account (especially current account) need some Po Bou to back you up as a guarantor. As far as I know, this method is fading out in large major banks but some smaller one is still having this policy.

I agree with Sree on this. During my initial days in Hongkong I also had faced some problems in opening my first bank account with HSBC. then i went to the main office at Central and was able to open the account in no time.
    The front office staff in most of the banks in Hong Kong doesnt know English. We need to speak very slowly word by word to make them understand something. The banks get most of their business from the local community and so the english communication skills of the front office staff is mostly low priority for them. And most of the front office staff just want to pull their heads out of the interactions they are having with non-locals.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia

Eat, drink and be merry
    Though what usually happens is - Eat, drink and do mary...

Wow a lot of you are really being harsh on the OP for suspecting discrimination, or pulling out the "race card" as some of you have put it.

I'm a Canadian-born Chinese, and I would have definitely suspected discrimination if I were him.

Since a Caucasian received the same service, I guess that wasn't the case then.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast