Visa / Mastercard - Overseas Surcharges within the same currency

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I called Dahsing to follow up since I haven't received the promised response, and had them fax me the basis of their charges, please see attached (hope the attachment works and you can view it).

According to the lady I spoke with today, because the merchant registration shows Singapore vs Hong Kong, that is why they charge me the 1.75 %. I then asked her what happens if I charged from ie UAL, etc., she said there is no way to know where the merchant is registered until the charge goes through. I have informed her that these charges are bogus and intend to dispute it, she said she will refer me to a supervisor and will call me later. . HMMM, I've heard that one before.

I got the phone call from the supervisor this afternoon, and I was told basically the same thing, that because of merchant registration, etc, I incurred the 1.75 % surcharge. However, after much "discussion" he has agreed to bring this matter up to management to see if they can do anything. He has advised me that if I use this card or any Mastercard (this time no mention of Visa), I would incur this similar charge, but I think you guys have checked your statements and found no such charges right, so . . . I expect to hear from them before the end of the month.

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread11352.html

I'll be following up with Singapore Airlines, United and Cathay Pacific sometime this week. Should be interesting to hear from them how they plan to process their charges to ensure card holders don't get screwed.

Charges Waived

I just heard from Dahsing this afternoon, and they've graciously told me that they have agreed to waive the additional charges to the account this one time only. So I'm grateful for all the advise & support that you guys provided, especially to KIA, for all the follow-up stuff you've been doing on the cross-border charges.

Still, if only DaSing has this charge, I say dump the bank. There're tons of other credit cards in town.

I needed to charge some HKD for Northwest Airlines fees called their local number, and I mentioned that I went to their office in Costco Tower and it's now closed, the lady mentioned that the calls are now routed to Singapore so my immediate question is where is the charges going to be processed, the answer was Singapore.

So I decided to test out the HSBC Visa card, and checked the balance online today, so far it is showing the actual charges, no surcharges.

HKFornow: the problem is with mastercard ... not Visa.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3