HK Gold/Platinum cards offer collision insurance for rental cars?

Closed Thread

HK Gold/Platinum cards offer collision insurance for rental cars?

Hi there,

I'm from Canada and have been living here for a couple of years. In Canada, some high end gold or platinum credit cards would offer perks, which included Collision insurance for rental cars. I've been trying to find a similar card here - according to the visa HK web site - it is possible that some institutions offer it. But I haven't been able to find it yet. Can anyone please help?

Thanks!
    Eric

AMEX does but not sure about overseas.

I think all platinum cards should include this car-rental insurance... correct if me if I m wrong!

By the way, in Europe the so called American Express Centuron card exists, never seen it here. I have some friends who would sell their own grandmothers for a Centuron card.

DaveD : the black card exists here ... you need a pretty high annual spend to get it. They might have to buy their own grandmothers a few times a year to get it ..

Quote Originally Posted by DaveD:
    I think all platinum cards should include this car-rental insurance... correct if me if I m wrong!
    I also assumed this was a standard feature but I just got out the brochure of my 'Citibank Cathay Pacific Platinum Select' card and rental car insurance is not among the features listed; apparently I'm entitled to discounts with Avis or Hertz and it says, for details see www.visaplatinum.com but there is nothing mentioned about car rental benefits on that site either. Perhaps the fact that hiring a car is comparatively rare in HK makes complimentary car rental insurance a less common feature with credit cards.
    Last edited by texasaxel; 16-08-2006 at 03:00 PM.

Never really paid attention to the perks except for airport lounge access - American Express Platinum and Cathay Pacific Platinum Preferred have that...

Quote Originally Posted by texasaxel:
    I also assumed this was a standard feature but I just got out the brochure of my 'Citibank Cathay Pacific Platinum Select' card and rental car insurance is not among the features listed; apparently I'm entitled to discounts with Avis or Hertz and it says, for details see www.visaplatinum.com but there is nothing mentioned about car rental benefits on that site either. Perhaps the fact that hiring a car is comparatively rare in HK makes complimentary car rental insurance a less common feature with credit cards.
    Axel: In case a credit card covers any car rental insurances, this special feature is offered by the bank, not the credit card company.
    So on that visa website you will not any information about it, rather check out the bank's sites.
    But since renting a car is not popular at all here in HK, banks might see no need to offer the insurance to their customers.

However, it is much more "difficult" to get one single golden credit card in Germany than 5 Platinum cards in Hong Kong.... weird!

Anyone have a list of the HK cards that provide buyers protection on their cards? (i.e. if what you buy is damaged or doesn't work, within the first 100 days, you get money back)

AE gold credit card does, but the platinum terms and condiitions on line doesn't mention it.

Any others? Any that offer some form of extended warranties for free on what we buy?