Like Tree1Likes

How to bank temporarily in HK?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

banking fees varies and are all listed on their websites.
    bigger banks, bigger fees.
    smaller banks, smaller fees.

plenty of fee free current accounts around, most of the local and chinese banks, BOC for 1.

standard practice, you will need to show 3 months of income to get a credit card.

you'll need a min of $500 to avoid account closure.

if you are looking at taking back a few us$g's to the US, take it in cash.

i feel like a teller. Next!!

of course, exception applies.

Last edited by dumbdonkey; 03-08-2010 at 10:24 AM.

You don't need to keep any minimum balance in the HSBC current account, I have one and I know that.
    You won't need any 3 month's salary certificate for credit card. I applied for a credit card and I had only signed my contract that day, so a copy of it, they gave me a credit card based on that.
    Suggest you visit HSBC branch and talk to them.

just let you know.. No transaction fee if you take cash out of CCB ATM with your BOA card.

Quote Originally Posted by Herngju:
    Would appreciate suggestions:

I will be on a three-month freelance job in HK and need to figure out how best to bank without incurring unnecessary fees. I live in a U.S. state without any HSBC branches, so I'm not keen on moving the amount required by HSBC Premier just so I can bank in HK for three months. Any suggestions on how best to minimize hassles and costs in my situation?

How about credit cards and transaction fees?

I have a permanent HK ID and can provide a HK address (relatives') if needed.

The OP is only in HK for 3 months. It is crazy to bother opening any account at all. Why bother? Why is everyone debating which bank the OP should choose and how much they need to deposit, etc. Its pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    The OP is only in HK for 3 months. It is crazy to bother opening any account at all. Why bother? Why is everyone debating which bank the OP should choose and how much they need to deposit, etc. Its pointless.
    that was my thought exactly until you read the part that he will be getting paid in HK.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2