HSBC SmartVantage account

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I realised that if I were in HK I could have opened an account for free but I wanted to just get it done asap.
    What I wanted to point out is that it is possible to get an account opened from outside HK. If someone happens to get it done cheaper and quicker then happy for them but I just spoke to my bank, filled in a form and agreed to the cost and I have an account

Quote Originally Posted by tfphw:
    I opened an HK HSBC account from London. Had a conversation with them over the phone to initially fill in the forms, they emailed them to me to complete and all I had to do was take them into a branch here in UK to validate them. Cost £100 and account was opened within 2 weeks. This was for their smart Vantage account. HK HSBC even confirmed that I didn't have to deposit cash via transfer from UK, I could put cash into account next time I am over in HK so I dont have to pay transfer fees.
    Hi, how did you manage to create the account over the phone. I have just spoken to them and they will not allow me - was there any particular number that you called who helped you out?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dm2875:
    Hi, how did you manage to create the account over the phone. I have just spoken to them and they will not allow me - was there any particular number that you called who helped you out?

Thanks
    You'll have to sign the documents at your local HSBC and they transfer them to the country where you want to open the account. It is free for Premier customers, others have to pay. In HK it is 1600 HK$ to open an account in China for example.

I have opened accounts in the UK and France from HK (Unfortunately the UK doesn't allow Euro accounts into Global View, so I needed to add France).

Quote Originally Posted by hktraveller:
    You'll have to sign the documents at your local HSBC and they transfer them to the country where you want to open the account. It is free for Premier customers, others have to pay. In HK it is 1600 HK$ to open an account in China for example.
    Thanks for the quick response!!

I have UK accounts already, I am trying to open a SmartVantage account in HK from the UK. I already have HSBC UK accounts, when I called HK they told me I had to go to a branch in HK. Would you or anyone have any links to the forms needed so I can completed them and have them signed by my HSBC bank in UK?

The generic personal account opening form is here: http://www.hsbc.com.hk/1/PA_1_3_S5/c...ac-opening.pdf I'm not sure if there's a specific Smartvantage form (I can't immediately find one online) or whether you could just specify that as what you want when completing this form.

Quote Originally Posted by dm2875:
    Thanks for the quick response!!

I have UK accounts already, I am trying to open a SmartVantage account in HK from the UK. I already have HSBC UK accounts, when I called HK they told me I had to go to a branch in HK. Would you or anyone have any links to the forms needed so I can completed them and have them signed by my HSBC bank in UK?
    Go and talk to the people in the HSBC international banking centre in the UK.
    The problem is not filling the form rather than veryfying your ID/Signature.

The more people you ask, the more different answers you will probably get. At least that is my experience. I am in Vietnam at present, and I could solve a problem by just walking one floor down. What was absolutely impossible at the premier centre was no problem at all (after reconfirming with 2 seniors) when I queued up again at the normal counter . But that could be a Vietnam specific thing.
    Last edited by hktraveller; 07-01-2011 at 08:10 PM.

the last i remembered, i was day 1 in hk/my company and i managed to get an account opened. i remembered the company's proof of employment was required, plus the typical HKID, Passport stuffs. If you tend to use the phone to conclude transactions, and u decided to use both, then be reminded that they will sometimes use either mean for verification of you, or ask you 'what did you use to open your account, ID or passport' etc... that can get tricky if you are back in your country and don't carry your HKID around anymore.

Credit card was trickier. I think I managed to apply for mine fairly quickly, they probably did ask for my employment contract (as I didn't get any payslip yet) and the approval was given within 1 or 2 weeks.

This second round (i.e. i went back sg, and came hk again 3 years later), my credit card application was smooth. Citi approved it within 1 day (standard docu applies, resi address proof [service appt contract shown], employment status [contract shown to them]). But according to my fren at the credit bureau service, that's probably because I had a credit card previously when i was here and didn't bail on them, so that gave me advantage for issuance approval.