Like Tree2Likes

Getting credit card points for tax payment

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Getting credit card points for tax payment

Earlier, I used to pay tax online from my HSBC Visa credit card and get reward points for it (which could be redeemed for airline miles or other gifts). Since Dec 2005, it looks like this has stopped. Last year, I called many other banks and all of them said that they would not give reward points for paying tax on credit card. Does anyone know if it is still possible to get reward points? Thanks

As far as I know it's still possible, but the banks/credit cards now set a cut-off date for when payments need to be made in order to earn credit card points. For the most recent tax payments, HSBC's cut off was end Dec 05 and Std. Chartered was Jan 06 (if my memory serves me right).

This means in order to earn maximum points you need to make full tax payment prior to cut off.

Quote Originally Posted by Swell:
    As far as I know it's still possible, but the banks/credit cards now set a cut-off date for when payments need to be made in order to earn credit card points. For the most recent tax payments, HSBC's cut off was end Dec 05 and Std. Chartered was Jan 06 (if my memory serves me right).

This means in order to earn maximum points you need to make full tax payment prior to cut off.
    So does that mean if I pay my taxes now for next year that I would still get points on HSBC? I was under the impression like abcdef said that they have totally discontinued the points for taxes practice.
    Last edited by HKfornow; 04-09-2006 at 10:18 PM.

Last year, using HSBC credit card to pay for tax, will not earn you points. I am not sure if that has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by HKfornow:
    So does that mean if I pay my taxes now for next year that I would still get points on HSBC? I was under the impression like abcdef said that they have totally discontinued the points for taxes practice.
    No, you need to wait for announcements of any upcoming credit card promotion for tax payments and then pay according to their conditions. Previously, this would require registration and payment by a certain deadline, regardless of the actual tax demand due date.

Last year, both HSBC and Std. C def. had promos. Would be on the lookout to see what's on offer this year as just got my tax bill yesterday!

I had to revive this old thread.

Can anyone recommend a credit card that gives us points when it comes to paying our tax.

My current Citibank premier miles doesn’t enable me to earn any points when it comes to HK revenue.

Much appreciated.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I think all the banks have now cottoned on to the tax/points thing and put a stop to it.

bak875 likes this.

and I recently noticed that HSBC now don't give you points if you pay any utility bills with their card either!!

So you think they should just give you a line of unsecured credit with no evidence of your ability to pay?

Reopening an old thread: is it possible to pay your tax bill using an overseas credit card?

Thanks

BryanL likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast