Like Tree10Likes

DEBT SETTLEMENT (I need ur help)

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

thanks much wtbhotia. it really is encouraging news.

i checked with one of the so called referral agency that "fatchai" referred (these agencies were suppose to refer me to a lawyer, who would give me free advise) and they scared the shit out of me. they were more interested in knowing details like which banks you owe money to, how much, e.t.c. they even said if I go there to see their recommended lawyer, I will have to fill in a form that is in Chinese and their staff will help me to fill it. God knows what would be in that form and who knows maybe debt collecting agents from the 2 banks I owe money to, will be waiting for my arrival so to send ship me to Africa in a box.

they said, it could be a lot worse, don't assume it will be just 40K, cos i told them that another friend who had this kind of debt problem saw his interest stop keep piling up on top of the principal after about 6 months. All the news I keep hearing pointed towards a situation where I might be owing close to 85-100K. they said it could be about 100K, since the banks would also have paid collection agencies. in short they scared me enough to just take my chances and conclude that "sorry, not gonna pay my debt. most welcome to put me in a box and ship me to Africa or Antarctica.

and they were so interested in knowing my personal details, like how much you owe, for how long, which banks, my age, what do i work as now, how much i make, and if I had continued, they would have kept asking more questions, so when the questioning started, ambulance lights and sounds went ON in my head and I had to shall I say bend the truth a little bit on every answer. really scary people who want to help you but could potentially be working for the banks guessing from how enthusiastic they are in scaring people into paying their debts, or perhaps not paying their debts, so people end up being on their welfare system?

no worries. I really like your suggestions. gonna be brave now and face the transunion music.

(by the way, your avatar is a dog or a hybrid donkey? )

Last edited by harmon; 19-08-2010 at 11:25 AM.

these agencies were suppose to refer me to a lawyer, who would give me free advise
    Get your own lawyer. The "free" lawyer knows which side his bread is buttered. He is probably being paid by the agency. Not sure what legal aid there is here but NEVER EVER go to a "free" lawyer recommended to you by the other side of ANY transaction.

I will have to fill in a form that is in Chinese and their staff will help me to fill it
    Utter c r a p. English is an acceptable language for legal documents here. Getting the staff to "help you". Are you nuts?

and they were so interested in knowing my personal details, like how much you owe, for how long, which banks, my age, what do i work as now, how much i make, and if I had continued, they would have kept asking more questions, so when the questioning started
    OK please do 2 simple steps.

1. Pay for an engage your own lawyer

2. With lawyer, approach the banks/credit card company concerned directly. If they have sold your debt on, they should be able to put you in touch with the new creditor.

3. Don't arse about with a bunch of monkeys.
    shri and Dreadnought like this.

And now... you're clearly paranoid about this whole situation... not going to help yourself that way.

@fth: Answers are : Yes, yes, and yes...
    (by the way, it's not a free lawyer, it's a bunch of lawyers, who give free advise and opinions, check this link out if you got time
    http://www.dutylawyer.org.hk/en/free/free.asp the thing that scares me is not the lawyer, but the referral agency that is recommending me to a presumably free advise giving lawyer)

@vmlinuz: Answer is yes..

I have reached these conclusions now too, but the only problem is I don't know any cheap lawyers, who might be willing to help.

Most newspapers advertise immigration lawyers, but not for this sorta thing. Is there a thread or a way on finding lawyers on geoexpat? or do such recommendations or advertisement are not allowed here too?

thanks a bunch guys. really..

Last edited by harmon; 19-08-2010 at 12:53 PM.

i think we all know by know that you should first go check transunion to figure out how much you really owe. anything before that is pretty useless