Like Tree7Likes

how to apply for a credit card?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

how to apply for a credit card?

hi

i just moved to hk and i'm still using credit cards issued from my home country.

how do i apply for a local hk credit card? i tried using my offer letter (i started work in hk on aug 2) but that didn't work.

does my US credit score port over to the hk credit system?

Go into a bank and ask them. Open a bank account.

You'll find they want proof of residence, ID, stuff like that.

Your credit score (which is a con job anyway) won't pass over but your inability to use capitals and punctuation certainly will.

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    Your credit score (which is a con job anyway) won't pass over but your inability to use capitals and punctuation certainly will.
    awesome..... lol

seriously though....all you need is an address and an ID. I first opened a CITI account here when i got here using my office address, and my US passport, along with a letter declaring my employment at company here.

i assume Hang Seng and HSBC will require your great grandparents to come in with you to give DNA samples and such though, as they tend to be old fashioned and stuck on reading their manuals all day.
    leopold likes this.

hi all

i did open an account with hsbc. it was a pre-opened account where i got my atm card there and then. i was also told that the 'package' included a credit card application. i questioned him about the requirements and he told me not to worry about it, just apply for it. i was carrying my offer letter that day so i told him to take a copy of it.

today, i receive a letter from hsbc telling me that my application has been rejected.

based on benderbends' post above, i think i'll try citi.

Should've used capitals.

Quote Originally Posted by leopold:
    today, i receive a letter from hsbc telling me that my application has been rejected
    Did they give you a reason? My experience with HSBC was that you have to open a savings account first and they want to see a few months salary being autopaid before they will give you a CC. After a few months, it should be no problem.
    leopold likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Did they give you a reason? My experience with HSBC was that you have to open a savings account first and they want to see a few months salary being autopaid before they will give you a CC. After a few months, it should be no problem.
    no reasons given. it was a cookie cutter rejection letter.

Read the forums. I keep telling all you HSBC sheep that there are dozens of alternatives to HSBC.

1) If you have an Amex from back home, they used to open a new account for you here pretty quickly.
    2) Try BEA, Citi and Standard Chartered

>> After a few months, it should be no problem

Don't bet on their magical scoring systems approving. Find a bank that wants your business, do business with them and walk away happy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

leopold likes this.

You can get a credit card from most banks that is tied to a time deposit. (HSBC & Citi for sure)

The banks will usually give you say 60K credit limit on a 75K time deposit, the TD can be held in any currency and must be for 12 months minimum.

leopold likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I keep telling all you HSBC sheep that there are dozens of alternatives to HSBC
    I couldnt agree more. Im with another bank now myself. I remember when I first came to HK and I applied for a CC with HSBC, then one week later before mine had been approved they started offering a free LCD TV for new CC applications but they wouldnt give me one because I applied the week earlier. These bastards flatly refused me a TV, even if I cancelled and reapplied for the card. My card was successful, but I dont use it and go with another bank now and I will cancel my HSBC card when the free annual fee waiver runs out. Bastards ripped me off a TV!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast