Can't open bank account- no proof of address. What to do?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can't open bank account- no proof of address. What to do?

I am an Australian living in Hong Kong and urgently need to open a bank account. I am living in a property but they won't provide me with any document to prove I live there. Every bank I have been to, to try and open an account have required a 'proof of address'. Does anyone know a bank that will allow me to open an account solely with my passport or how I can get around this problem to open an account?

Have you got any utility or phone bills?

If you work in Hong Kong, you can get a letter from your company that you work for them. Not sure though if its applicable only for salary account, but thats what I did when I opened my salary account.

Your passport + your original birth certificate should do the trick. (at HSBC anyway)

Do you have anything from your last address in Australia?

Last edited by emx; 18-09-2010 at 08:54 AM.

So you're just here as a tourist, right? In which case yes you can open an account but you will also need proof if address. As a tourist (OP has stated tried to open with PP only) you would need to at least show proof of address in Oz. You can't legally "reside" here with a visitor visa.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Proof of overseas address works fine - that's what I used when I first got here. If you have nothing with you, go online to your online banking or telstra or something and print out a bill....... The only downside is they have a habit (HSBC at least) of sending the security dongle to the "proved address" which might be inconvenient!

Thank you so much for your great advice. I will try all your suggestions. I appreciate your time in responding

I have had very inconsistent replies from HSBC on this issue, although my situation was slightly different to the OP's.
    Went to HSBC the other day to open an account for my wife who didn't have an ID card yet(For PDLM: she was here on a tourist visa and we were waiting for the approval of her dependent visa ). At the counter I was repeatedly told by a lady that it cannot be done. I asked her if one of my accounts can be made in to a joint account and even that was refused. On being persistant and arguing with her for 15 minutes, I was asked to go to the "customer service" counter. After another tag number and 20 mnutes, we sat down with a customer service officer and presto every thing was done, a new HSBC advance account for her and a new joint account all without an address proof / ID card.

Quote Originally Posted by PSMaverick:
    I have had very inconsistent replies from HSBC on this issue, although my situation was slightly different to the OP's.
    Went to HSBC the other day to open an account for my wife who didn't have an ID card yet(For PDLM: she was here on a tourist visa and we were waiting for the approval of her dependent visa ). At the counter I was repeatedly told by a lady that it cannot be done. I asked her if one of my accounts can be made in to a joint account and even that was refused. On being persistant and arguing with her for 15 minutes, I was asked to go to the "customer service" counter. After another tag number and 20 mnutes, we sat down with a customer service officer and presto every thing was done, a new HSBC advance account for her and a new joint account all without an address proof / ID card.
    I really think it depends on which HSBC you go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    Have you got any utility or phone bills?
    I had to show Hang Seng my utility bills with address from Canada (original). If you lived in Australia that must be easy for you. I had my wife scan and we dimpled the dotted line to make it original and it was fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast