document for opening HK bank account

Closed Thread

Question document for opening HK bank account

what docs are needed to open an account at an HSBC etc in HK? can foreigners easily open an account there? do they require HKID? or can a passport etc suffice?

Quote Originally Posted by goleoboy:
    what docs are needed to open an account at an HSBC etc in HK? can foreigners easily open an account there? do they require HKID? or can a passport etc suffice?
    I used only a passport to open my account. No other documents.

BOC on the other hand asked me for proof of address. I have heard all banks including HSBC seem to do this on a random basis.

thanks, this helps!

I got asked for proff of address also.

Well actually i went to HSBC and all i wanted was to set up an account to put cheques in now and again. But they guy just went on chatting about al these different accounts whihc just went straight over my head. So I just walked out as he didnt help me with the one I wanted.

When i go into another branch on HSBC any idea on what account i should ask for? All i want is like a saving account, no over draft ,no credit card just some where to put cheques in?

Last edited by GaGaLa; 18-03-2007 at 10:10 PM.

Sounds like Standard Chartered gave me a really hard time then....Had to show my lease, my contract and my temp HKID. DBS was even worse.....hubby showed temp HKID when he opened his account and they wanted him to show them the real ID when it was ready.

Quote Originally Posted by mazallen:
    I got asked for proff of address also.

Well actually i went to HSBC and all i wanted was to set up an account to put cheques in now and again. But they guy just went on chatting about al these different accounts whihc just went straight over my head. So I just walked out as he didnt help me with the one I wanted.

When i go into another branch on HSBC any idea on what account i should ask for? All i want is like a saving account, no over draft ,no credit card just some where to put cheques in?
    Just try another HSBC. I went in to open my account at an HSBC located next to a public housing estate in Cheung Sha Wan. They confirmed I wanted a basic acct like savings and opened it.

i just opened my HSBC Basic Savings Account (passbook only) at the Exchange Place branch, and they checked out my passport (wouldn't accept my temp HKID) and proof of address (i used my office address since all my mail is sent there).

it was very simple, except they're taking forever to issue an ATM card - about a week is the timeline - and till i get it, it'll be a pain to get cash as i have to go to the branch with my passbook. also, without your ATM card, you can't sign up for internet banking, which is very annoying.