Is it possible to change large amount of RMB/HKD in one go?

Closed Thread

Is it possible to change large amount of RMB/HKD in one go?

I know there is a daily limit of RMB20,000 that can be exchanged via the banks in HK.

Does anyone know if it's possible to change amounts greater than RMB20,000 in one go? Perhaps through private dealers?

I'm looking to exchange RMB back in to HKD.

Thanks for your help.

Money exchangers in TST?

If u are in HK Side then Sheung wan has a lot of Money Changers who specialize in rmb/HKD exchange and any amount is fine

But the limit to carry to China is also 20000 RMB per trip.
    Banks charge fees for deposit of large amounts in HK.
    If you change in China you are most likely to get a better rate and the limit is 50000 US$ per year (can be done in one time transaction)

Quote Originally Posted by hktraveller:
    But the limit to carry to China is also 20000 RMB per trip.
    Banks charge fees for deposit of large amounts in HK.
    If you change in China you are most likely to get a better rate and the limit is 50000 US$ per year (can be done in one time transaction)
    I wish it's like that now but I doubt it.
    I know everything is constantly changing in PRC but 1 year ago it was still like in the following
    1. PRC nationals are allowed to buy forex valued at US$ 50,000 p.a., can do so in a one time transaction and must state reason e.g. travel.
    2. I think same applies to foreigners with working visa.
    If I remember correctly tax filing slips, work permit blablabla.... must be provided by foreigners
    3. if you are on a a tourist visa the max you can buy per day is US$ 500 and there surely is an annual limit that - I strongly believe - is well under 50k

They scan your passport and electronically keep track of it.
    Last edited by Morrison; 16-03-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    I wish it's like that now but I doubt it.
    I know everything is constantly changing in PRC but 1 year ago it was still like in the following
    1. PRC nationals are allowed to buy forex valued at US$ 50,000 p.a., can do so in a one time transaction and must state reason e.g. travel.
    2. I think same applies to foreigners with working visa.
    If I remember correctly tax filing slips, work permit blablabla.... must be provided by foreigners
    3. if you are on a a tourist visa the max you can buy per day is US$ 500 and there surely is an annual limit that - I strongly believe - is well under 50k

They scan your passport and electronically keep track of it.
    Sorry, I misread the question. If the OP wants to sell RMB, you are right. I would buy the RMB if they are still in China or could be transferred to China. OP please PM me if interested.
    Last edited by hktraveller; 16-03-2011 at 08:32 PM.