Like Tree21Likes

Can a Passport Photocopy be sufficient for Currency Exchange?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    I've never been asked for ID at any place I have changed money in Hong Kong. Generally I find the banks offer much poorer exchange rates than the kiosks in places like Worldwide House.
    This poster does not much need to worry about the ID issue for his money but there is a threshold amount (I do not recall it or might not have heard it) where you must show your ID to exchange money.

I have been wrong before but I have had to exchange money and twice given the amounts I brought had to show HKID or my passport. I change it at Berlin Exchange and not my bank. They go by the rules there. I had to give my HK address too. Now this was for something like CAD$10,000 cash.

Guidelines and Circulars

HKSAR has requirements much like countries the world over. In that link you can see who else subscribes to these rules.

Busy now but noted this in HKMA link:

"Annex 8

Particulars to be recorded for any remittance or money changing transaction undertaken for a non-account holder for an amount of HK$20,000 or more or of
    an equivalent amount in any other currency."

And this:

"Money changing transactions

Transaction reference number

Date and time of transaction

Currencies and amount exchanged

Exchange rate

Name, identity card number (or any other document of identity or travel document number with place of issue) of customer which must be verified

Telephone number and address of customer "
    Last edited by Football16; 29-03-2011 at 12:10 PM.
    qfunk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger
    No one said they were inconvenient. In the context of the proposed UK ID cards, they were to be intrusive and dangerous, and would have reversed the relationship between citizen and state. Thankfully people stood up against it and the scheme was cancelled last year.
    You didn't mention massively expensive nor a great chance for our personal data to be mis-managed, stolen or hacked. The UK government doesn't have a great record on big complicated IT projects - especially ones like this with so many competing interests.
    qfunk likes this.

bdw

I like the Japanese Alien Cards better than HKID. They have almost no english on them at all, so I can use them back in Australia and tell people they are STUDENT CARDS to get student prices on everything. I got half price entry to a Perth Glory soccer game last year.

bookblogger and qfunk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16
    This poster does not much need to worry about the ID issue for his money but there is a threshold amount (I do not recall it or might not have heard it) where you must show your ID to exchange money.

Guidelines and Circulars

HKSAR has requirements much like countries the world over.

HK$10,000 or CAD$10,000 seems to stick out in my mind.
    The page you linked clearly shows $20,000.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    You didn't mention massively expensive nor a great chance for our personal data to be mis-managed, stolen or hacked. The UK government doesn't have a great record on big complicated IT projects - especially ones like this with so many competing interests.
    No I didn't, but I have done before!

Quote Originally Posted by hktraveller
    I have never in 20 years been asked for an ID or passport on the street.
    When I used to come here as a visitor, I was always told that I had to carry ID by friends & family, and some of them work for HK Police.

Hong Kong Police Force - Checking of Identification Documents
    qfunk likes this.

I've been asked for ID but I'm Indian and moreover I looked like a bum when he asked. Was sitting on the curb tying my shoes wearing shorts before going for a morning run. I didn't have any ID but maybe a perfect grasp of English was enough for him to leave me alone (I guess their concern is illegals).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3