Like Tree21Likes

Can a Passport Photocopy be sufficient for Currency Exchange?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    qfunk

Question Can a Passport Photocopy be sufficient for Currency Exchange?

Hi!
    I've been searching on google for this and found a page saying that password is required for currency exchange in hong kong...

I want to ask, can a photocopy of my passport be enough for the currency exchange of about 5,000 Indian Rupees to Hong Kong Dollar ?? I'm asking this because I might not be carrying my passport with me at the time, I expect to ask for the changing the money in Kowloon.

Also, is there any map of locations where I can change the currency in Hong Kong?

Here's the Link I found regarding this: [ Link ]

Thanks for any help regarding this,
    -Qfunk.

Last edited by qfunk; 28-03-2011 at 03:24 AM. Reason: link

I've never been asked for ID when changing money.

qfunk likes this.

qfunk

Thanks bryant... that info was very helpful!!

Not sure if a copy will work, but HKID does work.

I think there is a threshold where anything over a certain amount requires a passport or HKID. IIRC it might be HK$10,000 BUT you can phone one of them first and see.

I have shown both at times at Berlin Exchange. Never on the street where you can exchange HK $$$ for RMB at decent rates but then again it was not that much money.

qfunk likes this.

5000 INR is under 1000 HK$ which definitely doesn't reach the amount where you need an identification document. In Chungking Mansions for example you won't need any.

qfunk likes this.

Hi qfunk,

This is off-topic, but one thing to bear in mind is that in Hong Kong you are required to carry some form of identification. HK residents have ID cards and visitors are supposed to carry their passports, if you were stopped by the Police, I don't know if a photocopy of your passport would count as valid ID.

qfunk likes this.

qfunk

@Football16: I wasn't talking about the banks, rather I was talking about money exchanging shops which I've heard are at almost many MTR stations and in Tsim Sha Tsui.... Don't think I'll call them yet.. might call when I'm not able to exchange at any shop... Thanks!

@HKtraveller: Thanks! I've read about Chung King Mansions, in TST.... I'll try there first, I think...

@SilverHK: I'll ask my sister, who's been there, about this... If Passports are necessary, then I might not have any problem at all!! I've read on that link on the main thread, that the shops and banks exchanging money, require your passport, and a form that has to be signed claiming the rate of exchange and how much money was exchanged. Thanks for the info!

The point is that you are REQUIRED to carry ID at ALL TIMES. If you are a visitor it means carrying your passport. At ALL TIMES. If you have HK ID then that is sufficient.

qfunk likes this.

qfunk

Ok. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    The point is that you are REQUIRED to carry ID at ALL TIMES. If you are a visitor it means carrying your passport. At ALL TIMES. If you have HK ID then that is sufficient.
    As far as I know (I could be wrong) only HK residents have to carry their ID by law. Visitors are advised to carry their passport, but it is not a legal requirement. Of course police can temporarily arrest you which most likely means they will go with you to get your passport. I believe in most cases (at the discretion of the officer) a photocopy would be sufficient, unless they suspect a breach of your immigration status or you get involved in some investigations or as a witness. For changing money over the limit, an original is a must.

I have never in 20 years been asked for an ID or passport on the street.
    qfunk likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast