bank account

Closed Thread

bank account

Greeting everybody,
    i'm trying to investigate my late grandfather bank account in some bank in hongkong. During my grandfather visit and business venture in 1972 he had open up one personal bank account. Since then it had been active until he died in 1983. No body knows about the account except my late grandmother who died last year. Before she died she did mention about the account. Unfortunately she lost the bank book nor did she remember the bank my grandfather deposited. Kindly if somebody can help on what is the procedure for looking up a bank account, most probably dormant. Which authorities can i write in to or is there any bank association like in UK where we can look for dormant account.

thank you.

Last edited by ridz; 25-04-2007 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Typo error

Interesting question... I can't immediately find an answer, but if it were me I'd probably write to the HK Association of Banks, explain the situation and ask their advice. Contact details here: http://www.hkab.org.hk/asp/public/in...mit=CUs&lan=en

bank account

thank you pdlm,

just now i did what you suggest me to do i.e email to the hk bank association. Hopefully it works and the account still there. If not well its hard to imagine your oldman hard earn money being collected by someone else other than the family.

You have to prove your right to know the details of the bank account, and your right to take possession of any funds that may be in it.

You must first show your birth certificate, or whatever documents are required for that. Then you will have to show that your grandfather's will gave you permission to access the account. If he left a will, who was the beneficiary? Did it state in the will that the bank account would go to the beneficiary.

If the bank will not give you access despite your having these documents, you will have to petition the court in HK to force the bank to give you control of the account.

[QUOTE=sarpesius;152352]

thank you,

but actually my problem now is to find out the existence of the account, which bank in hong kong is holding the account. In term of legal proceeding i dont think that would be a problem. we the family already done all the necessary proceeding including the court granting us probate and administrative letter.

matter arise went some investigator in hong kong trying to charge us large sum just to find out the existence of the account without promising any result. here in malaysia, dormant account can be trace at the government central bank which hold database of all account holders and can be claim if necessary document can be presented. what i heard the monetary authority of hong kong does not have the same authorities like here in malaysia.

1. get a power of atorney.
    2. just write to every bank with a copy of the POA and ask them to reveal your grand dad's account based on the name and the details.

[QUOTE=freeier;152702]

good idea,

can anybody relay me some info on the list of bank exist in hongkong between 1972 till 1985. i know the 2007 list and its a lot if i to consider writing to them.

i think you just have to write to every one.
    remember, half of the banks have been acquired by one or another. e.g. dbs did not exist then but bought over dao heng bank to reach today's size!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ridz:
    my problem now is to find out the existence of the account, which bank in hong kong is holding the account.
    The government of HK may have records of your grandfather --- where he lived and business transactions he was involved in.

If he owned property or took out loans for any reason, or had to prove collateral to rent property, this might show the banks he was dealing with.

These records may show that he had an account or accounts at certain banks in HK.

You might also want to locate the last address where he lived. He may have had friends or associates through residence or work who would know something.
    Last edited by sarpesius; 29-04-2007 at 04:22 PM. Reason: grammar boo boo