Car insurance & related costs

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Car insurance & related costs

What is the average cost for annual car insurance in HK, let's say for a standard range 1.4 - 2.0L engine car?

Are there different levels of insurance ie 3rd party, fire & theft and fully comprehensive?

What other costs are involved ie road tax etc?

Is petrol (gas) expensive?

Thx

A good place to check the basic insurance rates is on www.speedinsure.com

When you do get a car, drop the HK AA a line and they'll pretty much be able to beat any costs -- plus their membership is pretty useful too.

http://www.hkaa.com.hk/en/service/Car-Insurance-21.html

Traffic department costs (Licensing etc)

http://www.td.gov.hk/public_services...rges/index.htm

Thx for the feedback

also try kwiksure.com , they gave me the most competitive quote and also let me to bring over my ncb from england. my 3rd party cover only costs me 780 bucks, and cover note issued within two hours.

What about getting a car MOTed? i.e. regularly checked by law. And road tax?

Road tax is quite hefty - not the standard 100-200 pounds. I pay near HKD10k.

Regarding insurance, I agree with the post above, Kwiksure gives me the best quotes.

We got our insurance from HKAA

Hong Kong Automobile Association

MOT depends on how much work is required on your car by the garage before they take it to the govt exam, I had an MOT on my SUV in Feb, it cost me 1K only.

Road Tax depends on the cc of your vehicle, the bigger the CC the more you pay since you can afford an expensive CAR

As a guide, my private car is an Opel Zafira 2.2 (I believe my tax bracket is 1.6 - 2.5 litres)

Approximate Monthly costs:

Parking Home 700HKD (relatively cheap because I live in NT, expect to double that or more nearer town)
    Parking Work 500HKD (because I ride my bike to work when I can)
    Parking Other 300HKD
    Petrol 1500HKD
    Tax 500HKD
    3rd Party Insurance 250HKD
    MOT/Servicing/Tyres/etc. 300HKD (obviously this is an estimate but I think it's fair on a used car and I also have a bit of local knowledge which reduces these costs for me, I expect a newbie will pay more.)
    Depreciation (obviously depends on your car but you must consider it of course)

I have two kids and tried living without a car for about a month, I hated it! I believe having a car generally makes life easier and gives you a lot of freedom. Public transport is very good here and very cheap but nothing beats the comfort and convenience of your own vehicle!!

That said, it is an expensive luxury and would be a lot more expensive in Kowloon and even more so in Hong Kong...

Last edited by bryant.english; 17-03-2011 at 11:09 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast