Like Tree2Likes

Hong Kong have Debit Card?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by goodkarma:
    .....has anyone tried Bank of America here for one?
    Yes, but like the others Bank of America in HK does not have a debit card but just like the other banks they do have EPS.

However, if you have a BofA account which you opened in the USA at a BofA branch you can use your debit card that was issued. Beware that there are transaction fees attached for each international transaction although, if you are purchasing from a USA based website the international transactions fees will not apply as your debit card is also USA based.

NOTE: debit cards with Visa/Mastercard are not offered by banks doing business in Hong Kong whether it be a Nanyang Bank, BEA, DBS, Standard Chartered, HSBC, Citibank, Bank of America, etc... do not exist in Hong Kong SAR at this point in time.

Bank of China launch a new card named "VISA BOC Olympic Games Prepaid Card".

This card can be swipe at any merchant have VISA facility, but damm, can't do online shopping and ATM withdraw.

And a lot others limitation.

1. Card can't top up. You can put in maximum HKD5000 while purchase the card.
    2. Will expiry in 6-18 months depends on amount you put in.
    3. Every purchase not more than HKD8000.
    4. No balance refunded.

The good news was, everybody can have it, no document requested. AND
    A very cute Beijing Olympic Mascot on every card, can be keep as collection. (Total 5 type in 5 cards)

Original Post Deleted
    This is not a debit card, they call it prepaid card. As I mentioned in pervious post, you can't do online shopping. You can't do ATM withdraw also.

They didn't charge you anything for the "allowed" transcation you done, just like a credit card. The merchant have to pay for the charge.

This card was "FREE" (just put a minimum HKD100, you can have it), but bank they have a lot way to gain their profit.
    1. Service charge from the merchant where you swipe the card.
    2. You deposited the money into the card without any interest being paid.
    3. Your card balance won't be refunded.
    4. Currency Exchange profit.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Just get a credit card
    tell them the limit you want
    Then have auto pay activated to pay back the full amount that you have spent on the due date.
    So now you spend within your limit and can't 'forget' to payback

The bank will hate you for being so sensible

Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid:
    Just get a credit card
    tell them the limit you want
    Then have auto pay activated to pay back the full amount that you have spent on the due date.
    So now you spend within your limit and can't 'forget' to payback

The bank will hate you for being so sensible

Have a credit card done in the way as you mentioned.

But debit card was a good way to bring "cash" while you are travelling around. It's much more secure. A card was much more easier to keep compare with a inch of note.

I am enjoying using debit card. I have debit card from other country, I only can top up while I was there, so it bring some inconvenient for me. Now, this card almost run out of money and will expiry soon. I didn't planned to visit the country in a short while. (This card only cost me about HKD180 for 36 months use, I feel quite worhty to use it.)

That's why I try to find similar in HK.

I guess this opens up one question. Do many places in HK take american express?? or is it just mainly visa/mastercard? I think the Octopus came up with an 'auto refill' program which means you can sign up and they will put 500bucks in every time it gets low... that's almost like a debt card - since octopus is pretty much everywhere rigth?

Didn't see many restaurant accept Octopus. (except fast food)

Start see some accept EPS.

How about Amex, do most places take Amex? (restaurants etc)? I know it's not the original thread topic but... curious.

Quote Originally Posted by goleoboy:
    How about Amex, do most places take Amex? (restaurants etc)? I know it's not the original thread topic but... curious.
    yep, seems amex is widely accepted now compared to before. also see promotions that are sometimes better compared to visa/mc

thanks - does Amex have a HK site where we can check the rewards??

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast