Like Tree1Likes

Credit card acceptance (MasterCard vs Visa)?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Credit card acceptance (MasterCard vs Visa)?

What's been your experience with acceptance of MasterCard cards in HK versus acceptance of Visa cards? Is one more widely accepted than the other? In your experience, do most places that take one also accept the other?

Visa is more popular

I've found that anyone who accepts Visa also accepts Mastercard; I've never encountered a place that accepts only one of them.
    I dont have a Visa, just a Mastercard.

don't worry, it's not a problem

Quote Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur:
    In your experience, do most places that take one also accept the other?
    YEs - I've never seen a place in HK that didn't. (And almost never anywhere in the world). Amex is another story - not so widely accepted by a very long shot.

AMEX acceptance has improved alot over the last couple of years, they're making a big push in HK (partnerships with other banks, CX and whatnot)
    They keep sending me emails telling me there's lots of new stores accepting the card.

I have yet to see a place that took Visa that didn't also take Mastercard. Perhaps some very small businesses or mail order places...

I'm sure there are places in HK that accept MC but not Visa and vice versa, but I'm also sure they are few and far between.

There are some instances where having one over the other is beneficial, for example Zuji has offers which requires you to pay be MC.

As for Amex, things are improving, but as I understand it their fees to retailers are still higher than Visa / MC, hence its smaller uptake.

If you drive and like to use Credit Card to pay parking fee, then Visa is better since all Wilson Parking Facilities accept Visa or Octopus, no Master.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I've found that anyone who accepts Visa also accepts Mastercard; I've never encountered a place that accepts only one of them.
    I dont have a Visa, just a Mastercard.
    Don't try that in London next year..

QUOTE=pin;1632553]I'm sure there are places in HK that accept MC but not Visa and vice versa, but I'm also sure they are few and far between.[/QUOTE]

I dont think so. When you apply for the credit card machine from any bank in HK, they all accept Visa, Mastercard and EPS as default standard. Then you have to fill out extra forms and jump through extra hoops so that the machine can read AMEX, Diners Club, JCB, etc. Also, the commission that the retailer pays to the bank is the same for both Visa/Mastercard, but higher for all others except EPS. EPS is bar far the lowest commission rate at only 0.9%. Others are like around 2%.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast