Like Tree4Likes

Any difference between a HK bank account opened with HK id and one with a US passport

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Any difference between a HK bank account opened with HK id and one with a US passport

Returnee going to HK next month to apply for permanent HK id. I will be back to USA before the id card is ready (takes 2 weeks, my relative who lives in HK will pick up the card for me). Heard that when I apply for the card I would be given a piece of paper with the id # (temporary id?)
    Need to open a HK bank account (either a "current" or a savings account) in HK currency while in town so I can apply for the scheme6000. From my lengthy research it seems like that HK banks will open a bank account with a US passport, but not with the temporary HK id.
    Is a HK bank account opened with a US passport different than an account that is opened with a HK permanent id card?

Quote Originally Posted by Onedragonlady:
    Is a HK bank account opened with a US passport different than an account that is opened with a HK permanent id card?
    No but as soon as you get your ID card return to the bank with that and your passport to get them to change your ID type to ID card. In HK they will only accept the ID on their record as proof of person. (HSBC anyway)

Mr SS got here before me. He opened his HSBC account with his passport. We made the account a joint one when I arrived and I used my HKID, not realising he used his passport. I only found out when he was on the phone to them and they asked for his passport number for ID purposes. I don't believe there is a difference.

If there is NO difference in the account # then I will assume that I can register for the Scheme 6000 after the HK bank account in HK dollar is opened. I e-mailed Scheme6000, will see what they say.

wait until next year and the gov. will put HK$ 200 on top of the 6,000 just because you have eased their work load. it's true, check it up

If using a US passport, wont they then report your money to the US authorities? That would worry me (unless the 6k is your net asset worth!)

Yep, I read about the extra HK $200 for delaying registration for Scheme6000. First I need to see if I get a response from Scheme6000 RE: whether a HK bank account opened with US passport can register for the $6000.
    I'm overwhelmed with all the research on hotels, transportation, permanent HK id card, HK banks, things a tourist does, etc.
    Need a "security device" if I want to do internet banking at HSBC. Just what I need, another gadget/device. Wonder if and how such device works in the USA?
    Read about long lines and lousy service at HSBC, don't know if I want to open an account with them. I think I will find a bank that is an authorized Scheme6000 bank and doesn't have complicated gadgets/device to go on-line.

A mere HK $5k - $10k Hong Kong dollar account (minimum balance to open an account that won't incur service fee) won't earn hardly, if any interest. No problem for me to disclose it on my tax return. I must report offshore accounts anyway since I am in the investment banking business due to strict SEC/FINRA regulations. I have nothing to hide and certainly won't want to risk my hard earned security license over a small HK account.
    Actually I plan to visit the HK Stock Exchange (as a tourist).

Last edited by Onedragonlady; 25-10-2011 at 08:58 AM.

The device is just another USB stick that creates a code ( if I remember correctly )
    There are banks that grant online access without it in HK

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    The device is just another USB stick that creates a code ( if I remember correctly )
    Eh? The HSBC password generator is absolutely nothing like a USB stick!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast