Like Tree14Likes

Don't bother with Standard Chartered

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    So is OP going to tell us what actually happened then?
    Nope OP is a spoil sport

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Can someone tell me why the hell a bank would want to close an inactive account with, say, $9k in it?

Under $0 I can understand but under $10k is a weird rule.
    I believe it's in the small print. If you plan to store a few hundred HK$ or up to $10k, you could get a simple saving book account, but when you open a 'higher class' account the small print says you have to keep a minimum account balance.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I have banked with SCB for over twenty years, having changed from HSBC because of poor service. Not had any problems in that time, save for the occasional "begging letter", which they only send me in Chinese. The last one was "begging" for me to borrow a ridiculous sum from them. Waste of paper, although they do go into the recycling bin after shredding.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 31-10-2011 at 12:15 PM.

Yes, I've only ever heard good things about SCB which is why I asked Mongkokrat what happened. Bugs me when people make a comment like that but don't actually explain the circumstances!

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Yes, I've only ever heard good things about SCB which is why I asked Mongkokrat what happened. Bugs me when people make a comment like that but don't actually explain the circumstances!
    Satay Sue, bdw, bak875

You're right to ask "what happened?" but that's the whole point of the posting. Nothing even remotely gives me any clue to why. I got a hold of my regular account manager and asked her to get me in touch with the department that sent the letter. We'll see what she says. I am not below the account minimum, I have never bounced a check, I don't owe them any fees, and the account is in active use. I really have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mongkokrat:
    Satay Sue, bdw, bak875

You're right to ask "what happened?" but that's the whole point of the posting. Nothing even remotely gives me any clue to why. I got a hold of my regular account manager and asked her to get me in touch with the department that sent the letter. We'll see what she says. I am not below the account minimum, I have never bounced a check, I don't owe them any fees, and the account is in active use. I really have no idea.
    Thanks for the update looking forward to further feedback.

I got a Preferred Account which I opened coz I wanted to buy a particular investment fund that HSBC didn't offer. They did ask me to maintain USD 200 as a minimum balance which I do. Apart from that I never use the account.

Got a bank account with both HSBC and SCB.

Both have their good points and both have their bad points, like any other competitor companies in HK and pretty much anywhere else in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by mongkokrat:
    Satay Sue, bdw, bak875

Thanks. Then that really is very very strange. Keep us posted please!

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    Really there's a cheque deposit machine in central? Hope they put some in other branches. I use the Aberdeen/ wanchai branches. Sorry we still write cheques at work. I think for small biz cheques are safer. Many cos do not give their staff access to Internet banking. And you need 2 people to co-sign a cheque.
    Also a cheque dep. machine at City Plaza Tai Koo Shing...just there tonite

Sent from my GT-I9000 using GeoClicks Mobile

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4