Like Tree14Likes

Don't bother with Standard Chartered

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Don't bother with Standard Chartered

If you're thinking of opening an account with Standard Chartered, don't bother! They will close your account if anything isn't to their liking.

I just received the most insulting letter informing me that my account will be closed next month by "Account Investigation". There's a signature, but no name. No department to call, no contact info. This is exactly what you would expect from a bank truly does not care about it's customers.

When they want your money, they'll say anything. When it's anything else, goodbye service. The ridiculous thing about this all is that it's designed this way.

I know some of you here have beef with HSBC, but to be honest I've always had the best service from both HSBC and DBS. Standard Chartered has now made a very public enemy of me.

I hate SCB too. I hate that they've removed all their cheque deposit ATMs. The only way to deposit a cheque, is to go to the bank during office hrs and put in the box. I wish I could this before or after work.

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    I hate SCB too. I hate that they've removed all their cheque deposit ATMs. The only way to deposit a cheque, is to go to the bank during office hrs and put in the box. I wish I could this before or after work.
    If you're in Central, the new branch on Wellington Street has a cheque deposit machine.

Maybe they should rename themselves Sub-Standard Chartered

I have accounts with both HSBC and Standard Chartered and have a long list of beefs with both banks. But mongkokrat, I find it hard to believe they would close your account without a good reason. You are obviously not telling the full side of the story. Actually, you are not even telling your half of the story. You just jump on here complaining in a completely incoherent way. If you are trying to convince me that Standard Chartered sucks, you are failing so far.

Rani - I actually like that SCB are discouraging the use of cheques. I wish all the banks would do this. I particularly hate that HSBC charges $30 to use internet banking for local transfers, but do not charge for using cheques, thereby encouraging the use of cheques over online banking.

If I want to transfer money from my SCB account to my HSBC account, I can use SCB online banking and it is free and easy. But if I want to transfer money from my HSBC account to SCB account, I have to write a HSBC cheque to myself, go to my SCB branch and deposit it, just to avoid HSBC $30 fee to use internet banking.

OMGItIsPhil likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mongkokrat:
    If you're thinking of opening an account with Standard Chartered, don't bother! They will close your account if anything isn't to their liking.

I just received the most insulting letter informing me that my account will be closed next month by "Account Investigation". There's a signature, but no name. No department to call, no contact info. This is exactly what you would expect from a bank truly does not care about it's customers.

When they want your money, they'll say anything. When it's anything else, goodbye service. The ridiculous thing about this all is that it's designed this way.
    Any idea what you did to make them do this? Genuinely interested.

Really there's a cheque deposit machine in central? Hope they put some in other branches. I use the Aberdeen/ wanchai branches. Sorry we still write cheques at work. I think for small biz cheques are safer. Many cos do not give their staff access to Internet banking. And you need 2 people to co-sign a cheque.

Same with some HSBC branches, not all have a cheque deposit machine. Our local branch is drop box only.

Accounts sometimes get closed due to inactivity of 6 months or more.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Rani - I actually like that SCB are discouraging the use of cheques. I wish all the banks would do this. I particularly hate that HSBC charges $30 to use internet banking for local transfers, but do not charge for using cheques, thereby encouraging the use of cheques over online banking.
    What have you got against cheques? Are you in business? I, and many people I know would miss cheques.
    bookblogger and dear giant like this.

I hate cheques. Have to write out to pay some of our less enlightened suppliers and receive the occassional one from other business/customers. The sooner they get scrapped the better.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast