Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pin

Credit Card Collection

Closed Thread

Credit Card Collection

I realize that I'm missing out on numerous credit card offers around town. Can anyone recommend the best credit card to get from each bank (Standard Charter, Citibank, Hang Seng, HSBC, Bank of China) so that I can have access to most of these discounts and offers, while also not paying any monthly fees if i dont use the card?

BaconBreadBaker likes this.

You don't need to pay any kind of fee for a credit card. If the bank try it on then tell them clearly and politely into which of their orifices they are welcome to insert their fee request (ie. if you threaten to cancel the card they will waive the fee, they're already taking commission from the retailer every time you use it, if you're silly enough to agree to pay for the privilege of using their card then that's just icing on the cake for them).

Feel free to get one from each bank and then when the bill comes ask the waiter which one will get you the best discount.

No... I meant is there a better card at each institution? I plan to get 1 from each... But do certain cards at for example BOC have better deals around town? Or does it generally not matter which card you have as long as its from that participating bank?

Usually Platinum have the better deals.

Amex and HSBC and Hang Seng usually have the best offers.

OK, my first post on this thread was a bit cheeky.

Suggest you have a look at this thread on Flyertalk. While its mainly about getting Asia Miles, there is quite a bit of up to date info on other deals:

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK) - FlyerTalk Forums

Also this website is also very useful (using Google translate):

香港 信用卡 優惠 網 - HongKongCard.com - 信用卡 迎新禮品 優惠 著數! HK Credit Card

Generally, the higher rankes a card is the more discounts you get, eg SC visa infinite > SC platinum master > SC titanium master. I dont know of any case where there is a discount that you would get with eg a regular BOC card but not with their platinum card. Up to platinum cards the banks usually waive all fees when asked (im)politely. Nb that for some upmarket cards (Amex Cathay elite, sc visa infinite) the banks might not waive the fees as the goodies that come along (priority pass etc) actually cost them money.