Investment Banking Hours

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A Life? Who needs one?

expat sam - are you analyst or assc level?

what you said is what I expected.

Is your office in central?

Vice President

Yeah office in central but i spend half my time in singapore (again same hours, different city)

Don't worry buddy, you'll ease into it - i assume you've been doing it for at least a year so you would be quite used to it... i still remembered when i started as an analyst - i worked a 3 month stretch without a day off!

Can anyone explain rationally why having analysts work silly hours is somehow better than simply getting more analysts? Are analysts salaries so high that they make a significant difference to the profitability of whatever business they are analysing?

think they take the view it's better to get the most out of the best rather than lower the overall quality of your workforce by having a larger team. Also, hiring and firing is an expensive process so due to the nature of the business (highly variable work flow) it means when times are good ppl are worked like dogs but then when times are bad hopefully firing lots of ppl isn't necessary....

i'd guess its all the wall street's way of statistically counting the 'worth' of a company.

normally, for each headcount a group has, the budget of profit for the year will maybe go up 5 million USD. so wld u rather employ one more and need to do another 2 deals, or wld u try to squeeze through with just one and pocket more bonus for yourself ?

there are also other things like efficiency ratio, etc.etc.

expat sam - thanks. I'm a 3rd yr analyst.

Hoping to avoid the 3 month stretches!

only fob's would ask geo

Quote Originally Posted by HKBanker2007:
    Hi-

Does anyone know typical investment banking hours in Hong Kong?

Does anyone know how they compare to US and London? I hear it is worse, but just wanted to see what others think.

-Mani
    Wow, how big do your balls need to be to put your job title in your nickname? Wait, I've got a better question: how much do you have to know about i-banking to get a job in the bulge here?

He's an i-bank guy ... legit.